CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM

porousSimpleFoam

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ahmed Khattab

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   July 14, 2012, 03:50
Default porousSimpleFoam
  #1
New Member
 
aban
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 5
aban is on a distinguished road
i am new to openFoam. i want to simulate the working of catalytic convertor for my case, for this i have choosen porousSimpleFoam for anlysing the pressure drop across the convertor. bot now i am little confused about the solving procedure in porousSimpleFoam. can anyone provide the steps of solving a problem with openFoam solver porousSimpleFoam. thanks in advance
aban is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 14, 2012, 17:35
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Ahmed Khattab's Avatar
 
ahmed
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 161
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 7
Ahmed Khattab is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aban View Post
i am new to openFoam. i want to simulate the working of catalytic convertor for my case, for this i have choosen porousSimpleFoam for anlysing the pressure drop across the convertor. bot now i am little confused about the solving procedure in porousSimpleFoam. can anyone provide the steps of solving a problem with openFoam solver porousSimpleFoam. thanks in advance
Hi aban,

first of all you must start with simple case and read user manual as you say you are new user. at all, you can run case of porousSimpleFoam included in tutorial cases then make all changes you need.

Good Luck
Ahmed Khattab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 15, 2012, 08:18
Default
  #3
New Member
 
aban
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 5
aban is on a distinguished road
i have searched a lot on the working of simpleFoam and porousSimpleFoam in the user manual as well as other e-documents and was unable to find much information on how the solvers work. so please provide the steps of working of these solvers
aban is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 15, 2012, 12:08
Default porousSimpleFoam steps
  #4
Senior Member
 
Ahmed Khattab's Avatar
 
ahmed
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 161
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 7
Ahmed Khattab is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aban View Post
i have searched a lot on the working of simpleFoam and porousSimpleFoam in the user manual as well as other e-documents and was unable to find much information on how the solvers work. so please provide the steps of working of these solvers
Hi Aban,
i meant to start with tutorial discussed in the manual "cavity case". at all you can go with these steps:

1- create new folder on porousSimpleFoam then create three folder within it called 0, costant, system.

2- within every directory create new document with same number and names exists in case angledDuctExplicit.

note: don't copy the case immediately, because it contains shortcuts for files not files so when you make your changes you will change original files not your copy. so open every file and copy its contents in the corresponding file in your case.

3- don't forget to copy Allrun file by the same way.

4- if you go to /constant/polyMesh. you won't find blockMesh file as other cases instead you will file with same name but with .m4 extension so you must compile it with m4 compiler first using this command in terminal

m4 ./home/aban/tutorials/incompressible/porousSimpleFoam/angledDuctExplicit/constant/polyMesh/blockMesh.m4 > ./home/aban/tutorials/incompressible/porousSimpleFoam/angledDuctExplicit/constant/polyMesh/blockMesh

or modify path if your tutorial directory is in other place.

5- now you can run the case by usual commands:
cd ./home/aban/tutorials/incompressible/porousSimpleFoam/angledDuctExplicit

blockMesh

porousSimpleFoam

parafoam

6- you can use this command only after step 3 immediately:

cd ./home/aban/tutorials/incompressible/porousSimpleFoam/angledDuctExplicit

./Allrun

then paraFoam to plot results.

i hope good luck for you . after running the case start to make your modifications.


Good Luck again

Ahmed.
pyt likes this.
Ahmed Khattab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 17, 2012, 09:55
Default
  #5
New Member
 
aban
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 5
aban is on a distinguished road
thank u for your valued information, but i want to know what is going inside while we run using the solver or how the momentum and continuity equation are been solved. can u provide the step by step procedure or algorithm of how the mass and momentum eq are been solved for each iteration.

Last edited by aban; July 17, 2012 at 10:28.
aban is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 20, 2012, 10:58
Default porousSimpleFoam files
  #6
Senior Member
 
Ahmed Khattab's Avatar
 
ahmed
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 161
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 7
Ahmed Khattab is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aban View Post
thank u for your valued information, but i want to know what is going inside while we run using the solver or how the momentum and continuity equation are been solved. can u provide the step by step procedure or algorithm of how the mass and momentum eq are been solved for each iteration.
Hi aban,

please check this URLs and download pdf files, it may be helpful.
http://www.tfd.chalmers.se/~hani/kur...ukurReport.pdf

http://www.google.com.eg/url?sa=t&rc...Lt-UilobIeujEw

regards,
Ahmed Khattab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 20, 2012, 12:02
Default
  #7
New Member
 
aban
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 5
aban is on a distinguished road
i have already read through these files and was only about how the prous media is set in the momentum governing equation. there was no information regarding how the pressure, velocity are solved in each iteration. can you provide the algorithm or steps for solving of these p and u each time.
aban is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 21, 2012, 09:05
Default
  #8
Senior Member
 
Ahmed Khattab's Avatar
 
ahmed
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 161
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 7
Ahmed Khattab is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aban View Post
i have already read through these files and was only about how the prous media is set in the momentum governing equation. there was no information regarding how the pressure, velocity are solved in each iteration. can you provide the algorithm or steps for solving of these p and u each time.
the only way to do this is to go through the solver source code, i can help you find important files, but it would take more time from me to figure out the algorithm.
you will find files at directory:

opt/openFoam210/applications/solvers/incompressible/simpleFoam/porousSimpleFoam.

you will find files for U,P,porousSimpleFoam.

another useful files are in directory:

opt/openFoam210/src/finiteVolume/finiteVolume.

good Luck
Ahmed Khattab is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
porousSimpleFoam: oscillating velocity in the porous zone Se9a OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 9 September 24, 2014 03:10
Adding temperature equation to porousSimpleFoam David_010 OpenFOAM Programming & Development 7 February 18, 2013 09:42
porousSimpleFoam Per OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 4 April 19, 2012 08:29
porousSimpleFoam crash on 40 cores ciberbob1987 OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 2 February 26, 2012 18:22
porousSimpleFoam - crash Sebaj OpenFOAM 2 January 4, 2012 17:16


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:48.