CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/)
-   -   convective heat transfer in open foam (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/108480-convective-heat-transfer-open-foam.html)

Ahmed Khattab October 24, 2012 13:47

convective heat transfer in open foam
 
Hi foamers

What is the best way to simulate a conbective heat trasnsfer in open foam.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

hawkeye321 October 26, 2012 10:41

You have to provide more information, first of all laminar or turbulent?

Ahmed Khattab October 26, 2012 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahdiiowa (Post 388705)
You have to provide more information, first of all laminar or turbulent?

Hi,

i want to simulate heat transfer between fluid flows through tube and the tube. flow is fully developed laminar flow (GRAETZ case).

thanks in advance.

hawkeye321 October 26, 2012 23:46

For laminar flow you can modify icoFoam by adding the temperature source term to the momentum equation. Just make sure you have to add it where the UEqu. matrix is being constructed and NOT behind the pressure gradient term! Because in that case it will go through the PISO loop, which you certainly do not want it.

nimasam October 27, 2012 05:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebel ahmed (Post 388770)
Hi,

i want to simulate heat transfer between fluid flows through tube and the tube. flow is fully developed laminar flow (GRAETZ case).

thanks in advance.

it seems for me, it is a conjugate heat transfer, so i suggest you to use
chtMultiRegionSimpleFoam for steady solver
or
chtMultiRegionFoam for transient solver

Ahmed Khattab November 22, 2012 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimasam (Post 388797)
it seems for me, it is a conjugate heat transfer, so i suggest you to use
chtMultiRegionSimpleFoam for steady solver
or
chtMultiRegionFoam for transient solver

but i think these solvers deal with conduction and buoyant (natural convection) heat transfer not convective (forced) heat transfer.

thanks, :)

elvis November 27, 2012 11:37

Hi,

just want to mention that Oliver Gloth showed the coming version 1.4 of Engrid at the south german "Stammtisch=> english "group of regulars/come together/meeting"

One major feature is, that it supports meshing for CHT simulations for Openfoam.
So if you manage Engrids special usabilty, you will have a tool that supports you creating meshes for OpenFOAM CHT-simulations out of the box!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 17:48.