CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/)
-   -   droplet motion on incline plane (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/110895-droplet-motion-incline-plane.html)

IndrajitW December 24, 2012 09:18

droplet motion on incline plane

Hi all,
I want to simulate droplet motion on inclined plane. Please guide me where can I find the relevant cases. I have done the dam break tutorial.
Regards,
Indrajit

Bernhard December 24, 2012 13:03

Ehm, you will have to set up te cases yourself. First make a mesh, then initiliaze the droplet (setFields or funkySetFields), change the direction of g in constant/g and run the simulation. Where are you stuck in this process?

IndrajitW December 24, 2012 14:21

Hi,
I am stuck at initializing the droplet, using the funkysetfields .Also I wish to implement the dynamic contact angle model in OpenFoam. Please let me know where could i get a similar case so that I could edit and use it.
Regards,
Indrajit

liguifan February 10, 2013 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernhard (Post 398920)
Ehm, you will have to set up te cases yourself. First make a mesh, then initiliaze the droplet (setFields or funkySetFields), change the direction of g in constant/g and run the simulation. Where are you stuck in this process?

Hello Bernhard,

I am new to the multiphase case and I want to simulate the the droplet case as well. For the droplet, do you suggestion I use some software like Gmsh to create a sphere or I can directly use set Fields or funkySetFields to create it?

Btw, in the openfoam wiki, the link provided is not working, so I am not sure where I can download the up-to-date version of funkySetfields?

Best regards,
James

Bernhard February 10, 2013 16:49

I would not suggest using the mesh to make your droplet, as it is necessary for the initial state as well. For funkySetField I am certain that you can select a region of cells based on an expression. Latest versions are now included in swak4Foam.

liguifan February 10, 2013 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernhard (Post 407012)
I would not suggest using the mesh to make your droplet, as it is necessary for the initial state as well. For funkySetField I am certain that you can select a region of cells based on an expression. Latest versions are now included in swak4Foam.

Thanks for the quick reply, do you mean I firstly use Gmsh to mesh a sphere and then use the funkySetfield to define it as the water?
Or I don't need to use Gmsh at all?

Kind regards,
James

Bernhard February 10, 2013 16:54

It depends on what type of solver you want to use of course. But if you stick to a volume of fluid solver (interFoam), then I would just mesh with blockMesh and define the droplet with funkySetFields (or maybe even regular setFields if possible, not sure about that)

liguifan February 10, 2013 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernhard (Post 407015)
It depends on what type of solver you want to use of course. But if you stick to a volume of fluid solver (interFoam), then I would just mesh with blockMesh and define the droplet with funkySetFields (or maybe even regular setFields if possible, not sure about that)

Thanks again for that, I went to the funckySetFields on openwiki, I can tell it is powerful for the examples given, like the groovyBC for Boundary condition; however, I tried to download the 1.5 and 1.6 version, link seems to be not working anymore.

One another question is that:
I have build up a box with the leftwall, rightwall, lowerwall, frontwall, and backwall using Gmsh, and I use the setFields to create a sphere in the liquids, but the bubble burst before it rises to the surface of the water and the water leaks out from the leftWall Even I define the velocity of BC of all the walls with U=fixedValue {0 0 0}.

The boundary conditions are as follows

alpha1.org
Quote:

dimensions [0 0 0 0 0 0 0];

internalField uniform 0;

boundaryField
{
leftWall
{
type zeroGradient;
}

rightWall
{
type zeroGradient;
}

lowerWall
{
type zeroGradient;
}

atmosphere
{
type inletOutlet;
inletValue uniform 0;
value uniform 0;
}

frontWall
{
type zeroGradient;
}
backWall
{
type zeroGradient;
}
}

p_rgh

Quote:

FoamFile
{
version 2.0;
format ascii;
class volScalarField;
object p_rgh;
}
// * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //

dimensions [1 -1 -2 0 0 0 0];

internalField uniform 0;

boundaryField
{
leftWall
{
type buoyantPressure;
value uniform 0;
}

rightWall
{
type buoyantPressure;
value uniform 0;
}

lowerWall
{
type buoyantPressure;
value uniform 0;
}

atmosphere
{
type totalPressure;
p0 uniform 0;
U U;
phi phi;
rho rho;
psi none;
gamma 1;
value uniform 0;
}

frontWall
{
type buoyantPressure;
value uniform 0;
}
backWall
{
type buoyantPressure;
value uniform 0;
}
}
U
Quote:
FoamFile
{
version 2.0;
format ascii;
class volVectorField;
location "0";
object U;
}
// * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //

Quote:

dimensions [0 1 -1 0 0 0 0];

internalField uniform (0 0 0);

boundaryField
{
leftWall
{
type fixedValue;
value uniform (0 0 0);
}
rightWall
{
type fixedValue;
value uniform (0 0 0);
}
lowerWall
{
type fixedValue;
value uniform (0 0 0);
}
atmosphere
{
type pressureInletOutletVelocity;
value uniform (0 0 0);
}
frontWall
{
type fixedValue;
value uniform (0 0 0);
}
backWall
{
type fixedValue;
value uniform (0 0 0);
}
}
I appreciate that you can give me some hint.

Kind regards,
James