CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/)
-   -   Numerical simulation of DBD plasma actuator induced flow (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/123536-numerical-simulation-dbd-plasma-actuator-induced-flow.html)

mukut September 15, 2013 21:16

Numerical simulation of DBD plasma actuator induced flow

Earlier time, I have used PHOENICS to simulate flow induced by Plasma Actuator (PA). Now my target is to implement openFoam in PA induced flow simulation and later which will be coupled with plasma vortex generator induced flow simulation. As a three months user of openFoam, I am still struggling to learn, so in this regard all of your support is cordially welcomed. Possibly I have to use solver pisoFoam/potentialFoam for my purpose. Does anybody has experience to simulate PA induced flow by openFoam? I have only 2months to complete this simulation, till I am in deep sea :(

PonchO September 20, 2013 04:23

Hi mukut,

i don't have experience with plasma actuators. So i don't know about the plasma physics. But i'm analyzing a flow control problem too. In my case it is realized by Lorentz-forces acting on the flow.

I think you want to add an extra volumeforce inside an existing solver like pisoFoam, am i right?

Best regards.

mukut September 20, 2013 04:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by PonchO (Post 452667)
Hi mukut,

i don't have experience with plasma actuators. So i don't know about the plasma physics. But i'm analyzing a flow control problem too. In my case it is realized by Lorentz-forces acting on the flow.

I think you want to add an extra volumeforce inside an existing solver like pisoFoam, am i right?

Best regards.

Hello PonchO,

thanks for your reply. Yes, something like that....in plasma actuator it is necessary to couple body force with velocity...

PonchO September 20, 2013 04:51

I don't know if it helps:

In pisoFoam.C you have something like this:

Code:

fvVectorMatrix UEqn
            (
                fvm::ddt(U)
              + fvm::div(phi, U)
              + turbulence->divDevReff(U)
            );

So you can define a force before the UEqn is evaluated:

Code:

volVectorField lorentz = sigma * (-fvc::grad(PotE) ^ B0) + sigma * ((U ^ B0) ^ B0);
Now you can add them to the equation in the UEqn

Code:

fvVectorMatrix UEqn
            (
            ==
            (1.0/rho) * lorentz    // Lorentz force term
            );

After the Fields are calculated and after the PISO-loop you can add subsequent formula for describing the distribution of your additional force. In my case it were realized by an extra outer loop for the lorentz-force calculation.

Is that kind of something you want to do?

Best regards,

Christoph

mukut September 20, 2013 04:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by PonchO (Post 452678)
I don't know if it helps:

In pisoFoam.C you have something like this:

Code:

fvVectorMatrix UEqn
            (
            );

So you can define a force before the UEqn is evaluated:

Code:

volVectorField lorentz = sigma * (-fvc::grad(PotE) ^ B0) + sigma * ((U ^ B0) ^ B0);
Now you can add them to the equation in the UEqn

Code:

fvVectorMatrix UEqn
            (
            ==
            (1.0/rho) * lorentz    // Lorentz force term
            );

After the Fields are calculated and after the PISO-loop you can add subsequent formula for describing the distribution of your additional force. In my case it were realized by an extra outer loop for the lorentz-force calculation.

Is that kind of something you want to do?

Best regards,

Christoph

Thanks for your good effort. I want to do something like this image
I am a new user, previous time I simulated flow induced by PA in phoenics but now I don't understand how to define actuator inside flow domain. Is it possible to define such configuration using default mess generation by openFoam?

vinz January 7, 2014 06:30

hello MominulDid you manage to model your plasma actuator in OpenFoam

I am planning to work on the same subject in comming weeks.