CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/)
-   -   Support thread for "Solid Mechanics Solvers added to OpenFOAM Extend" (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/126706-support-thread-solid-mechanics-solvers-added-openfoam-extend.html)

bigphil September 11, 2012 12:06

Support thread for "Solid Mechanics Solvers added to OpenFOAM Extend"
 
Greetings to all!

This post has been artificially planted here by a moderator, as part of the effort to keep the news of the solidMechanics tooblox separated from the support questions.
Have fun!

Sargam05 September 12, 2012 14:53

Support thread for "Solid Mechanics Solvers added to OpenFOAM Extend"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigphil (Post 381346)
Hi Mechy,

sorry the command to get the solidMechanics branch is (this command is executed in the OpenFOAM-1.6-ext directory):
Code:

git checkout -b solidMechanics remotes/origin/feature/solidMechanics
I shall edit the post above.

Philip


Hi Philip,

I have OpenFOAM 1.7.x in machine but I have successfully installed feature branch OpenFOAM-1.6-ext and updated the solidMechanics folder. I am using following commands mentioned in Allwmake for compiling solvers

#!/bin/sh
set -X
wmake libso solidModels

After this command it seems compile but at last is showing some error (please see below)


SOURCE=fvPatchFields/fixedRotation/fixedRotationFvPatchVectorField.C ; g++ -m32 -Dlinux -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -O3 -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-40 -I/opt/openfoam171/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam171/src/meshTools/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam171/src/VectorN/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam171/src/triSurface/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam171/src/finiteArea/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam171/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam171/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linuxGccDPOpt/fixedRotationFvPatchVectorField.o
fvPatchFields/fixedRotation/fixedRotationFvPatchVectorField.C:33:31: error: RodriguesRotation.H: No such file or directory
fvPatchFields/fixedRotation/fixedRotationFvPatchVectorField.C: In member function ‘virtual void Foam::fixedRotationFvPatchVectorField::updateCoeff s()’:
fvPatchFields/fixedRotation/fixedRotationFvPatchVectorField.C:166: error: ‘RodriguesRotation’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [Make/linuxGccDPOpt/fixedRotationFvPatchVectorField.o] Error 1

Do you think this error is coming because I do not have OpenFOAM1.6.x installed in my machine?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sangeeta

bigphil September 13, 2012 05:12

Hi Sangeeta,

The solidMechanics solvers and library use a number of features (such as GGI) that are only found in the OpenFOAM Extend (not the standard OpenCFD OpenFOAM). Therefore, I would recommend you install OpenFOAM-1.6-ext if you want to use solidMechanics (Note: OpenFOAM-1.6.x is released by OpenCFD and OpenFOAM-1.6-ext is realised by the Extend Project).

It would probably be possible to compile the solvers in standard OpenFOAM but you would have to exclude quite a bit of the functionality. So it is much easier to install OpenFOAM-1.6-ext.

Philip

opencfd September 13, 2012 06:38

OpenFOAM does include an implementation of arbitrary mesh interface (a.k.a generalisation grid interface 'GGI'), since version 2.1.0:
http://www.openfoam.org/version2.1.0/ami.php

Sargam05 September 13, 2012 10:31

Hi Philip,

Thanks for the reply. Do I need to first install OpenFOAM 16x for installing and compiling OpenFOAM-ext? Can I install both OpenFOAM 171 and OpenFOAM-ext in same machine?


Regards,
Sangeeta

bigphil September 13, 2012 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargam05 (Post 381642)
Hi Philip,

Thanks for the reply. Do I need to first install OpenFOAM 16x for installing and compiling OpenFOAM-ext? Can I install both OpenFOAM 171 and OpenFOAM-ext in same machine?


Regards,
Sangeeta

Yes you can have separate installs of OpenFOAM-1.7.1 and OpenFOAM-1.6-ext on your machine (I think you should be able to find quite a bit of information on the forum about this). And no you don't need to install OpenFOAM-1.6.x before OpenFOAM-1.6-ext as they are separate.

Best regards,
Philip

Sargam05 September 13, 2012 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigphil (Post 381646)
Yes you can have separate installs of OpenFOAM-1.7.1 and OpenFOAM-1.6-ext on your machine (I think you should be able to find quite a bit of information on the forum about this). And no you don't need to install OpenFOAM-1.6.x before OpenFOAM-1.6-ext as they are separate.

Best regards,
Philip


Hi Philip,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Sangeeta

lg88 September 14, 2012 04:12

Hello Philip
I have met the problem mechy have.
When I run
Code:

git checkout -b feature/solidMechanics remotes/origin/feature/solidMechanics
It said that I haven't install git.So I run the command:
Code:

sudo apt-get install git-core
And It installed fluently.Then I go into the folder OpenFOAM-1.6-ext and run this command again:
git checkout -b feature/solidMechanics remotes/origin/feature/solidMechanics But the same error came up.
Code:

fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
Can you tell me what should I do?The version I am using is OF-1.6-ext.

Thank you very much!
Best Regards!

lg88

bigphil September 14, 2012 05:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by lg88 (Post 381752)
Hello Philip
I have met the problem mechy have.
When I run
Code:

git checkout -b feature/solidMechanics remotes/origin/feature/solidMechanics
It said that I haven't install git.So I run the command:
Code:

sudo apt-get install git-core
And It installed fluently.Then I go into the folder OpenFOAM-1.6-ext and run this command again:
git checkout -b feature/solidMechanics remotes/origin/feature/solidMechanics But the same error came up.
Code:

fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
Can you tell me what should I do?The version I am using is OF-1.6-ext.

Thank you very much!
Best Regards!

lg88

Hi lg88,

first OpenFOAM-1.6-ext needs to be downloaded and installed with git:
Code:

git clone git://openfoam-extend.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/openfoam-extend/OpenFOAM-1.6-ext
Then navigate into the OpenFOAM-1.6-ext directory and checkout the solidMechanics branch:
Code:

cd OpenFOAM-1.6-ext
git checkout -b feature/solidMechanics remotes/origin/feature/solidMechanics

Hope it helps,
Philip

lg88 September 14, 2012 10:22

Hello Philip
With this command:
Code:

git clone git://openfoam-extend.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/openfoam-extend/OpenFOAM-1.6-ext
can I install OF-1.6-ext in any version of Ubuntu?like Ubuntu 11.04,11.10 or 12.04?Because I always installed Ubuntu 10.04 first and then intsalled OF-1.6-ext.

Thank you very much!

regards!

lg88

bigphil September 14, 2012 11:32

Hi lg88,

Yes it should be possible to install and compile OpenFOAM-1-6-ext on any Ubuntu, assuming that all the necessary dependencies are installed.

You should be able to find lots of information on the forum for installing any version of OpenFOAM on most linux distributions.

Philip

lg88 September 17, 2012 21:08

icoFSIElasticNonLinULSolidFoam
 
Hi Philip
I have found that there is a problem of the tutorials of icoFSIElasticNonLinULSolidFoam.
There are not polyMesh.tgz (both fluid or solid).I can see the folder ployMesh but only with a file:boundary inside.
I am bot sure whether it is my problem during download.

regards!

lg88

bigphil September 18, 2012 04:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by lg88 (Post 382240)
Hi Philip
I have found that there is a problem of the tutorials of icoFSIElasticNonLinULSolidFoam.
There are not polyMesh.tgz (both fluid or solid).I can see the folder ployMesh but only with a file:boundary inside.
I am bot sure whether it is my problem during download.

Hi lg88,

You are right, thanks for the fix.

The problem was that ".tgz" files are excluded from the git repo so they were not added. I have fixed it by extracting the meshes to the correct place.

You should be able to get the changes using:
Code:

git pull
The code can be browsed here.

If there any other mistakes/bugs, let me know!

Best regards,
Philip

markusrehm September 18, 2012 08:51

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Philip,

thanks for the contribution! I have tested the case hotCylinder and elasticThermalSolidFoam and compared results to that from solidDisplacementFoam. Your solver gives better results.

Is that plausible?

Can you explain whats the reason for that?

See the plot attached.


BTW: I found that in some solvers the include command in Make/options for rheologyModel.H was wrong. I had to change it from
-I../../solidModels/lnInclude
to
-I../solidModels/lnInclude

Regards, Markus.

bigphil September 18, 2012 09:07

Hi Markus,

Quote:

Originally Posted by markusrehm (Post 382341)
thanks for the contribution! I have tested the case hotCylinder and elasticThermalSolidFoam and compared results to that from solidDisplacementFoam. Your solver gives better results.

Is that plausible?

Can you explain whats the reason for that?

Hmnnn that's interesting, since both solvers are essentially using the same method I would expect them to produce the same results, especially considering the mesh is orthogonal in this case (elasticThermalSolidFoam will be better on non-orthogonal grids as it has boundary non-orthogonal corrections).

If I had to guess, I would say that maybe something is slightly different between the two cases (BCs, properties, fvSchemes, fvSolutions, …).

Quote:

Originally Posted by markusrehm (Post 382341)
BTW: I found that in some solvers the include command in Make/options for rheologyModel.H was wrong. I had to change it from
-I../../solidModels/lnInclude
to
-I../solidModels/lnInclude

Thanks, this is the remnants of the old way the code was organised. Which solvers so I can fix it?

Best regards,
Philip

lg88 September 18, 2012 10:21

Hi Philip
I am sorry that I can not get any changes with the command:
Code:

git pull
There is not .gz file in the polyMesh folder still.
And with the link:http://openfoam-extend.git.sourcefor...solidMechanics
I can see other meshes information ,but I can not download them.Can you tell how to download the files there?

Thank you very much!

regards!

lg88

bigphil September 18, 2012 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by lg88 (Post 382363)
Hi Philip
I am sorry that I can not get any changes with the command:
Code:

git pull
There is not .gz file in the polyMesh folder still.
And with the link:http://openfoam-extend.git.sourcefor...solidMechanics
I can see other meshes information ,but I can not download them.Can you tell how to download the files there?

Hi lg88,

The ".tgz" files have been removed altogether and instead the mesh files (points, faces, etc.) are located where they are meant to be in constant/polyMesh (you do not need to run blockMesh or any other mesh command).

So if you checkMesh the fluid or solid case you will see that the mesh is there. Alternatively open the case in ParaView to see the mesh.

Philip

lg88 September 18, 2012 11:05

Hi Philip
I deleted the whole folder solidMechanics careless.So I tried this command again:
Code:

git checkout -b feature/solidMechanics remotes/origin/feature/solidMechanics
but it said:
Code:

fatal: A branch named 'feature/solidMechanics' already exists.
How can I fix the solidMechanics ?
regards!

lg88

bigphil September 18, 2012 11:22

Hi lg88,

Use this command:
Code:

cd $WM_PROJECT_DIR
git checkout feature/solidMechanics applications/solvers/solidMechanics

This will return the applications/solvers/solidMechanics directory to what it is like in the last commit of the branch feature/solidMechanics.

Philip

markusrehm September 19, 2012 10:58

Hi Philip,

thank you for the explanation. Indeed I found a mistake in the setup.

Markus

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigphil (Post 382345)
Hi Markus,



Hmnnn that's interesting, since both solvers are essentially using the same method I would expect them to produce the same results, especially considering the mesh is orthogonal in this case (elasticThermalSolidFoam will be better on non-orthogonal grids as it has boundary non-orthogonal corrections).

If I had to guess, I would say that maybe something is slightly different between the two cases (BCs, properties, fvSchemes, fvSolutions, …).


Thanks, this is the remnants of the old way the code was organised. Which solvers so I can fix it?

Best regards,
Philip



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31.