CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/)
-   -   Reconstruction after parallel run with dynamic mesh refinement (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/67738-reconstruction-after-parallel-run-dynamic-mesh-refinement.html)

sebonator August 25, 2009 08:33

Reconstruction after parallel run with dynamic mesh refinement

Hi everybody,

I got a problem with reconstructing my fields after running "interDyMFoam" with "dynamicRefineFvMesh" in parallel.

A first thing to say is that I am sure the simulation completed successfully, because I can postprocess the results for each processor alone.

The reconstruction of the mesh using "reconstructParMesh" still works fine, although I think I did not use the easiest way, as I have to use "reconstructParMesh -time x.xx" for every single timestep.

My problem occurs when doing "reconstructPar" to reconstruct the fields. When I am trying it from inside a case directory, the function aborts already during the first timestep. I found a tip in another thread that it might help to use it like "reconstructPar -case xxxxx" from outside the case directory. I was kind of surprised that it almost worked this way. But still, after about the half of the timesteps, the function aborts, always showing the same error:

/*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*\
| ========= | |
| \\ / F ield | OpenFOAM: The Open Source CFD Toolbox |
| \\ / O peration | Version: 1.5.x |
| \\ / A nd | Web: http://www.OpenFOAM.org |
| \\/ M anipulation | |
\*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
Exec : reconstructPar -time 0.56
Date : Aug 25 2009
Time : 16:09:30
Host : ttdws69
PID : 25049
Case : /home/lang/OpenFOAM/lang-1.5.x/run/SebLangBachelorArbeit/03-DuharColin-3DStroemung-Vorarbeiten/06-AdaptiveGitterverfeinerung/03-BrokenDamMit2
nProcs : 1

// * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //
Create time

Create mesh for time = 0.8

Time = 0.56

#0 Foam::error::printStack(Foam::Ostream&) in "/home/lang/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5.x/lib/linuxGccDPOpt/libOpenFOAM.so"
#1 Foam::sigSegv::sigSegvHandler(int) in "/home/lang/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5.x/lib/linuxGccDPOpt/libOpenFOAM.so"
#2 Uninterpreted:
#3 Foam::objectRegistry::checkOut(Foam::regIOobject&) const in "/home/lang/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5.x/lib/linuxGccDPOpt/libOpenFOAM.so"
#4 Foam::regIOobject::checkOut() in "/home/lang/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5.x/lib/linuxGccDPOpt/libOpenFOAM.so"
#5 Foam::regIOobject::~regIOobject() in "/home/lang/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5.x/lib/linuxGccDPOpt/libOpenFOAM.so"
#6 Foam::IOList<int>::~IOList() in "/home/lang/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5.x/applications/bin/linuxGccDPOpt/reconstructPar"
#7 Foam::processorMeshes::read() in "/home/lang/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5.x/applications/bin/linuxGccDPOpt/reconstructPar"
#8 Foam::processorMeshes::readUpdate() in "/home/lang/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5.x/applications/bin/linuxGccDPOpt/reconstructPar"
#9 main in "/home/lang/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5.x/applications/bin/linuxGccDPOpt/reconstructPar"
#10 __libc_start_main in "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6"
#11 __gxx_personality_v0 at ../sysdeps/i386/elf/start.S:122
Speicherzugriffsfehler

I do not know why the last line is written in german, but I think it can be translated as memory access error (Do not know if its exactly called like this in english).

Has anybody got an idea how to solve this problem? I also tried running the case on a single processor and this worked absolutely fine, but for those cases I want to use it a single processor will work for weeks, so that is no option.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Greetings Sebastian

sega August 25, 2009 10:19

Dear Sebastian.

I used a small bash-script for such cases:

Code:

#!/bin/bash
timeList=$(ls processor0/ | awk '$1!="constant"');

for line in $timeList
do
    echo "Recontructing mesh for t = "$line" s";
    reconstructParMesh -time $line > logTmp;

echo "Reconstructing fields for t = "$line" s";
    reconstructPar -time $line > logTmp;

echo "";
done

rm logTmp;

Basically it's doing reconstructParMesh and reconstructPar alternating.
Maybe you can try this, but if there is a problem with the single commands it will be of no help ...

sebonator August 26, 2009 10:55

Danke Sebastian!

Ich schreibe übrigens die Nachfolgearbeit zu deiner Studienarbeit am TTD!

Gruß Sebastian

sebonator August 27, 2009 03:14

Works fine!

Dear Sebastian,

Thanks for your help with this script. Seems to be working fine, although I do not think that I tried anything else than reconstructParMesh and reconstructPar before.

Well, after using computers for more than eight years I got comfortable with solving problems without knowing how ;)

Thanks again,
Greetings Sebastian

mattijs August 27, 2009 16:47

Did you checkMesh the mesh resulting from reconstructParMesh? It uses a geometric tolerance so might get things wrong for large refinement levels. If the problem persists in 1.6.x. can you report a bug+testcase in OpenFOAM-bugs?

sebonator August 29, 2009 05:26

Hi mattijs,

no, I did not checkMesh the reconstructed Mesh, but I used a refinement level of only 1! This would mean there is a general problem, I think.

But as I replied to Sebastian above, the Script that alternates reconstructParMesh and reconstructPar works fine. I only tried to reconstructParMesh for all time and after that reconstructPar for all time. Maybe this was the Problem, I will check that up on Monday.

Bye, Sebastian

sebonator August 31, 2009 04:16

Hi,

I just tried to manually alternate reconstructParMesh and reconstructPar. It worked fine, without any problem.

The reason for my problems must have been that I tried to do reconstructParMesh fol all time and after that reconstructPar for all time.

As I can not check it up with 1.6.x, I will not report a bug+testcase.
But it does not seem to be a general problem anyway, I think.

Thanks for your help!

Greets Sebastian

openfoam_user June 8, 2010 10:38

Hi,

the script works fine with OpenFOAM-1.6.x.

Manually it works (for example):
reconstructParMesh -time 0.002
reconstructPar -time 0.002

Regards,

Stephane.

liping_he August 11, 2011 03:56

Hi sega

I am a newcomer. I have the same problem when I do reconstruction. So I hope you can tell me how to use your code mentioned in the thread detailedly. Step by step is the best. Thank you very much.

Good luck

Liping He