CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/)
-   -   Which Linux Distro for OpenFOAM and Fluent (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/70292-linux-distro-openfoam-fluent.html)

jason.ryon November 19, 2009 11:35

Which Linux Distro for OpenFOAM and Fluent

I am a FLUENT user and am starting to look at OpenFOAM 1.6 and would like to know what Linux Distros work with both products. What I have found out so far is OpenFOAM (from the readme) recommends OpenSUSE and Ubuntu 9. FLUENT tends to like enterprise versions (which I would like to avoid if possible due to the cost, unless you see benefits in them - please let me know). My goals are to see OF work on 1-2 computers and if successful, then expand to cluster.

So far I was thinking the latest (9.10) Ubuntu or OpenSUSE (11.2). I know that a lot of personal preference goes into distro choises, so please let me know if there is a performance difference that you have noticed.

Please let me know if you have had success with both FLUENT and OpenFOAM on the same linux distribution.

Thanks

l_r_mcglashan November 19, 2009 11:53

With regards to Openfoam it doesn't matter. Just pick whichever you prefer (Fedora for me). Not sure about Fluent but we run STAR under Fedora with no problems.

gschaider November 19, 2009 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason.ryon (Post 236915)
Please let me know if you have had success with both FLUENT and OpenFOAM on the same linux distribution.

We're running OF and Flünt on CentOS (which is basically RedHat-Enterprise without the support/costs) without problems

Bernhard

mathieu November 19, 2009 12:31

So far, I have tried he following distros (all 64 bits) with both Fluent and OpenFOAM without any problem:

OpenSuse 10.2
OpenSuse 10.3
Ubuntu 7.10
Ubuntu 8.04
Ubuntu 8.10
Ubuntu 9.04

Mathieu

daimon December 7, 2010 13:05

What mesh utility

What is the meshing program you use on linux. I just used Gambit in Windows, but I'm not able to get a linux version of it.

What is the alternative?

alberto December 7, 2010 14:03

I work on a mixture of SUSE / Red Hat systems with both codes (ANSYS / OpenFOAM). I would suggest openSUSE or SUSE Linux Enterprise (much less painful than Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora in my experience).

sail December 8, 2010 03:52

just a hint: if you want to try openfoam to get confident with it and not mess with your current set up you might take a look at caelinux. it is a distro based on ubuntu 10.04 lts (if i remember correctly) with already OF 1.7, meshers, al lot of other CAE/FEM/CFD sw already intalled and running.

my 2 eurocents.

preichl December 8, 2010 04:15

As the posts above have mentioned OF will run in all/most distributions. I think Fluent is only officially supported in OpenSuse Enterprise and Red Hat Enterprise. So CentOS may be your cheapest (free) option with official Fluent support.

I have both OF and Fluent (and Gambit) working in Ubuntu.

pit December 8, 2010 05:19

Here is Fluent and OF running on a Red Hat 5 machine. With the CentFOAM-Project it is really comfortable. I think trying CentOS could be an option.

swahono December 8, 2010 19:31

I'm using both Ubuntu 10.04 and Fedora Core 9 for ANSYS and OpenFOAM. However, Fluent and Gambit has some quirky bugs when used in Ubuntu 10.04!
It's GUI related bug.

Best Regards,
Stefano