CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/)
-   -   Questions about tutorial from User Guide :confused: (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/76424-questions-about-tutorial-user-guide-confused.html)

inginer May 25, 2010 10:50

Questions about tutorial from User Guide :confused:

:confused:
Hello,

I'm very new in OpenFOAM and i already have a lot of problems in running the first tutorial. I manage to install OF 1.6 on a Suse distribution, 32 bits(my conection is to a server,VNC).
After i copy all the tutorials on a separated file, i try to run "cavity". I did all the steps from the user guide and after I run the "blockMesh" comand, i want it to see the mesh with paraview and i could saw it. WHY? also, it wasn't created any cavity.openFOAM file.

i went to the next step to run the analysis, by typing "icoFoam". it mayed the analysis, but still it any cavity.openFOAM (cavity.foam) file wasn't created it. WHY?

I try to run other simple cases, like "cylinder", from potentialFOAM directory, but i had the same problem like at the first one. also, when i typing "icoFoam" comand i receive this error:

// * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //
Create time

Create mesh for time = 0

Reading transportProperties

cannot open file

file: /root/OpenFOAM/run/tutorials/basic/potentialFoam/cylinder/constant/transportProperties at line 0.

From function regIOobject::readStream()
in file db/regIOobject/regIOobjectRead.C at line 62.

FOAM exiting
//***********//

The same error apear for other cases that i want it to run.

Can somebody give me some advices or answers???

Thk you,
Best regards,
Ovidiu

alberto May 25, 2010 11:46

It seems it just doesn't find the transportProperties file.

How do you try to run paraview and from where (you have to be inside the case directory or specify the path with the command line options)?

The "cavity.foam" file is created by paraFoam and removed when you close it.

Best,

inginer May 25, 2010 12:42

ok. it worked, but another problem appeard.

If I'm typing paraFoam, the "cavity.openFOAM" file is created in paraview, but on the screen appear a box with Microsoft visual studio and the following error

"an unhandled win32 exception occured in Xming.exe[5084]

Possible Debuggers:
New instance of Visual Studio 2005
New instance of Visual Studio 2008

Do you want to debug using the selected debugger?"

If im selection "yes" the program is not responding
if im selected "no" close the paraview.

my connection is to a linux server at the distance.

best regards,
Ovidiu

alberto May 25, 2010 12:53

No idea. I use OpenFOAM on Linux. Sorry.

wyldckat May 25, 2010 15:10

Greetings to all,

Quote:

Originally Posted by inginer (Post 260200)
"an unhandled win32 exception occured in Xming.exe[5084]

Possible Debuggers:
New instance of Visual Studio 2005
New instance of Visual Studio 2008

Do you want to debug using the selected debugger?"

Well, something similar to this happened to me just today, also when using Xming in Windows, but for me, it was Putty (the ssh client) who crashed. I haven't got a clue as to why, i can only assume it was a protocol error that occurred between server, Putty and Xming :( As for solutions, I haven't worried about fixing it :rolleyes:

If you still want to use ssh with X11 forwarding, perhaps you can try:
  • Cygwin with X server installed, and use "ssh -X" directly from the Cygwin shell.
  • or install a Virtual Machine or Virtual Appliance with a Linux box in it, and then do the remote connection from there.

Best regards,
Bruno