CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM

mumps in OF?

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   July 1, 2010, 06:49
Default mumps in OF?
  #1
New Member
 
Gerber van der Graaf
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Barcelona/Solsona, Catalunya (Spain)
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 8
gerbervdgraaf is on a distinguished road
I have read that the MUltifrontal Massively Parallel sparse direct Solver (MUMPS) from http://mumps.enseeiht.fr/ might increase drasticly the calculation speed. Searching on this and related forums I did not find much about MUMPS to be used by OpenFOAM. Did anybody have a look at this? Is it worthwhile to consider MUMPS in the OpenFOAM environment and is it possible ot implement using the API for the C programming language?

Thanks,
Gerber
gerbervdgraaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 2, 2010, 06:47
Default SupeLU
  #2
New Member
 
Gerber van der Graaf
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Barcelona/Solsona, Catalunya (Spain)
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 8
gerbervdgraaf is on a distinguished road
So far I have not received any comments, yet. I'd like to extend my question to other, similar, solvers like SuperLU. Is there any experience with these techniques in OpenFOAM? So far I have read that Mumps is faster for less than 50 - 60 CPU nodes.

Gerber van der Graaf
gerbervdgraaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 7, 2010, 23:49
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Bocliff Sutter
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 8
Bocliff is on a distinguished road
Gerber,

Multifrontal solvers are common in FEM and they are quite efficient version of Gauss elimination algorithm. These solvers are not iterative and not very suitable for non-linear systems of equations that are pervasive in CFD. The same goes for any other LU factorization algorithms. They are not used is CFD commonly and OF has no implementation of them that I know of.

Bocliff
Bocliff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 8, 2010, 05:14
Default thanks
  #4
New Member
 
Gerber van der Graaf
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Barcelona/Solsona, Catalunya (Spain)
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 8
gerbervdgraaf is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your reply. We are working here at UPC (Univ of Catalunya, Spain) with another Finite Volume CFD code (home brewed at our university) that uses MUMPS. It is much faster. Whether the results are as reliable / accurate as OpenFOAM remains to be seen.
gerbervdgraaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 9, 2010, 10:51
Default
  #5
Senior Member
 
Mirko Vukovic
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 159
Rep Power: 8
mirko is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocliff View Post
Gerber,

Multifrontal solvers are common in FEM and they are quite efficient version of Gauss elimination algorithm. These solvers are not iterative and not very suitable for non-linear systems of equations that are pervasive in CFD. The same goes for any other LU factorization algorithms. They are not used is CFD commonly and OF has no implementation of them that I know of.

Bocliff
I am new to this parallelisation business. Can you recommend some references where I can learn more about parallelism in CFD?

Thanks
mirko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 9, 2010, 11:32
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Gerber van der Graaf
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Barcelona/Solsona, Catalunya (Spain)
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 8
gerbervdgraaf is on a distinguished road
Concerning Mumps the main web site is:
http://mumps.enseeiht.fr
The UserGuide can be obtained from the Documentation link

Concerning Scotch:
http://www.labri.fr/perso/pelegrin/scotch/
gerbervdgraaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 9, 2010, 17:07
Default
  #7
Senior Member
 
Arjun
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Nurenberg, Germany
Posts: 369
Rep Power: 10
arjun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbervdgraaf View Post
Thanks for your reply. We are working here at UPC (Univ of Catalunya, Spain) with another Finite Volume CFD code (home brewed at our university) that uses MUMPS. It is much faster. Whether the results are as reliable / accurate as OpenFOAM remains to be seen.
with multifrontal solvers the main issue is memory as far i understand. Polyflow of ansys uses it and we have given up polyflow because we could not run anything seriously large with it.. Plus for large cases they were slow too.

They are very robust though.

As far as your question about OF goes, this olny OF developers can answer.

I personally definitely would like to learn ,understand and implement them they will be good for visco-elastic applications.
arjun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 13, 2010, 09:28
Default
  #8
Senior Member
 
Mirko Vukovic
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 159
Rep Power: 8
mirko is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbervdgraaf View Post
Concerning Mumps the main web site is:
http://mumps.enseeiht.fr
The UserGuide can be obtained from the Documentation link

Concerning Scotch:
http://www.labri.fr/perso/pelegrin/scotch/
Thank you for the links
mirko is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
lu decomposition, mumps, solver

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to optimize the memory usage when using FEM vasilis Main CFD Forum 11 August 24, 2009 23:57


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 18:36.