CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/)
-   -   Simulation of bubble plumes (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/81941-simulation-bubble-plumes.html)

jolync November 11, 2010 08:07

Simulation of bubble plumes

Hi all,

May I know if anyone has done simulation for bubble plume using OpenFOAM before? Could you kindly share the file for guidance as I'm totally new to OpenFOAM..

Questions:
How to set the boundary and initial conditions?
Which solver should we use in specific?

Thank you! :)

FG_HSRM November 11, 2010 08:46

Hello Jolync,
a good starting point are the user's and programmer's guide, there you will surely learn to handle your first problems.
OF includes a whole bunch of tutorials, also multiphase flow solvers; interFoam, interDyMFoam, and bubbleFoam (one of this, might be useful for you).
Rergards
fritz

l_r_mcglashan November 11, 2010 08:54

Are you looking to model the dispersed phase in an Eulerian or Lagrangian way?

People have published work on gas-liquid bubble columns using OpenFOAM. Do a quick google search.

jolync November 11, 2010 09:15

Hi Freidrich,

Yup, I've gone through the user guide. But I still don't know how to make use of the multiphase - twophaseEuler solver to get started with the simulation. Hence, the post for help.
Thank you :)

jolync November 11, 2010 09:20

Hi Laurence,

I think its the Eulerian method. I tried looking, but haven't found materials that are really helpful. Shall look into it again.
Thanks! :)

l_r_mcglashan November 11, 2010 09:33

Sorry, I'm not being helpful:

Selma

Silva

Those should get you rolling on the implementation side. And of course don't forget Henrik Rusche's thesis.

FG_HSRM November 11, 2010 09:33

I'm not used to the solver, but what exactly is your problem?
Just jump into the twoPhaseEulerFoam/ bubbleColumn directory, create the Mesh with "blockMesh" and start the solver with "twoPhaseEulerFoam".
After finishing the tutorial, keep on and change the things to your needs.

Aurelien Thinat September 28, 2011 09:55

Hi,

I'm trying to run a case closed to the test case Bubble Plume presented in Henrik Rusche's thesis.

Different by the injection way of bubbles in the domain : I have created a source term (a volumic scalar) in the alpha equation of bubbleFoam solver. Not a big deal normally (well, it's more a guess than something serious).

It's a 2D case, the flow is considered as laminar for a start. The sides are walls (or symmetryPlane), the bottom is a wall too and the upper boundary is an inletOutlet.

So at t=0, I put alpha = 0 if z<0,14 and alpha = 1 if z>0,14. And then some bubbles are created by the source term along the left wall.

So my main problems are :
- The interface has a strange behaviour which depends on the diameters da and db.
- If db is too high, (close to 1mm), the calculation is very unstable.
- At very small db, I have a loss of "water" (continuous phase). I guess it's something like a numerical "evaporation".

Anybody already faced these problems ?

Thank you.