|May 4, 2011, 14:08||
Foam is running extremly slow
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 18Rep Power: 8
I am working on dsmcFoam. Currently trying to simulate the tutorial case Wedge15ma5. Everything is fine when I am running the tutorial. I had tried to change the cell number in blockMeshDict. that also worked perfectly. Just took around 2 hrs to finish the simulation.
But when I tried the same case with the mesh exported from fluent (.msh file), of course the simulation is running, but it is extremely slow. It takes around 10 hrs to finish 1% of the total simulation. I have tried with different cell numbers but got disappointed.
|May 6, 2011, 14:23||
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Blog Entries: 39Rep Power: 103
You are probably comparing the run times of two meshes with seriously different complexities and number of cells! Running with cells that look like bricks (the one generated with blockMesh), versus a mesh generated with Fluent, which probably is a highly hybrid mesh, you're bound to get slower run times, specially since (if I'm not mistaken) it's a particle solver.
Another thing you should check is if the mesh exported from fluent is properly sanitized; in other words, did you run checkMesh after converting the mesh to foam format? If the mesh has flaws in it then the solvers tend to be slower with it, assuming they can converge to a solution at all!
So, to sum up:
|fluent mesh, openfoam, slow simulation|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|BlockMesh FOAM warning||gaottino||OpenFOAM Native Meshers: blockMesh||7||July 19, 2010 14:11|
|Import problem||ARC||Open Source Meshers: Gmsh, Netgen, CGNS, ...||0||February 27, 2010 11:56|
|StarToFoam error||Kart||OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion||1||February 4, 2010 05:38|
|Axisymmetrical mesh||Rasmus Gjesing (Gjesing)||OpenFOAM Native Meshers: blockMesh||10||April 2, 2007 14:00|
|Import gmsh msh to Foam||adorean||Open Source Meshers: Gmsh, Netgen, CGNS, ...||24||April 27, 2005 08:19|