CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM

Using solved case now with different ConstantValues

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   September 6, 2011, 09:46
Default Using solved case now with different ConstantValues
  #1
Member
 
The True
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 80
Rep Power: 6
Eren10 is on a distinguished road
Hi, can I use a solved case to minimize the computation time, but now I change a constant in the model. and the running will be started at the endTime of the solved case.
Eren10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 6, 2011, 10:05
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Amir's Avatar
 
Amir
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Shiraz, Iran
Posts: 739
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 14
Amir is on a distinguished road
start form latestTime
__________________
Amir
Amir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 6, 2011, 10:19
Default
  #3
Member
 
The True
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 80
Rep Power: 6
Eren10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir View Post
start form latestTime

The problem that I see is I change for the second case a constant at the 0/nut file. Like you say I want start at the latestTime, but I am not sure that OpenFoam sees the change in the 0/nut file. I have tried it for couple iterations one with a change in variable and and other one without a change , both run from the LatestTime the results are the same. So it looks like it does not see the change in the 0 directory.
Eren10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 6, 2011, 10:26
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Amir's Avatar
 
Amir
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Shiraz, Iran
Posts: 739
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 14
Amir is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eren10 View Post
The problem that I see is I change for the second case a constant at the 0/nut file. Like you say I want start at the latestTime, but I am not sure that OpenFoam sees the change in the 0/nut file. I have tried it for couple iterations one with a change in variable and and other one without a change , both run from the LatestTime the results are the same. So it looks like it does not see the change in the 0 directory.
Ok, I though you wanted to change something in solving dictionaries; to achieve your purpose, you can copy and paste other variables files in a time directory you want to start from. (Also change its time addresses of these variables by an editor)
Obviously, if you start from latestTime, OpenFOAM do not consider changes in 0 folder.
__________________
Amir

Last edited by Amir; September 6, 2011 at 10:46.
Amir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 6, 2011, 10:52
Default
  #5
Member
 
The True
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 80
Rep Power: 6
Eren10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir View Post
Ok, I though you wanted to change something in solving dictionaries; to achieve your purpose, you can copy and paste other variables files in a time directory you want to start from. (Also change its time addresses of these variables by an editor)
Obviously, if you start from latestTime, OpenFOAM do not consider changes in 0 folder.

Do you mean to just copy the 0/nut file and past it at the latestTime/nut ? I did not do this because the structure of latestTime/nut is to much different/
Eren10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 6, 2011, 15:10
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
Amir's Avatar
 
Amir
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Shiraz, Iran
Posts: 739
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 14
Amir is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eren10 View Post
Do you mean to just copy the 0/nut file and past it at the latestTime/nut ? I did not do this because the structure of latestTime/nut is to much different/
Hi,
The structure is different because it is solved during iteration; I meant that to save your time, you can copy other variables except nut to desired folder! then change nut.

Bests,
__________________
Amir
Amir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 7, 2011, 05:53
Default
  #7
Member
 
The True
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 80
Rep Power: 6
Eren10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir View Post
Hi,
The structure is different because it is solved during iteration; I meant that to save your time, you can copy other variables except nut to desired folder! then change nut.

Bests,

Thank you for your help. I see your point , somewhere inside the LatestTime/nut there is the definition of the BC's I should put the variable inside that, that will help for one case.

However, I have to run many cases at the same time, and I am writing the variables by creating new nut file with matlab's fprintf , this tecnique can not be used to the LatestTime/nut. Maybe creating a dictionary file for that constant will help, in some solvers this is the case but not in simpleFoam ( maybe I did not see it ).
Eren10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Superlinear speedup in OpenFOAM 13 msrinath80 OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 18 March 3, 2015 06:36
Transient case running with a super computer microfin FLUENT 0 March 31, 2009 11:20
Is Playstation 3 cluster suitable for CFD work hsieh OpenFOAM 8 March 12, 2008 05:58
Free surface boudary conditions with SOLA-VOF Fan Main CFD Forum 10 September 9, 2006 12:24
Doubt in unsteady case vijay FLUENT 1 April 24, 2006 11:11


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 22:00.