CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/)
-   -   segment fault during using paraview3120 (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/97541-segment-fault-during-using-paraview3120.html)

hei@ge February 20, 2012 04:13

segment fault during using paraview3120

Hi,everyone,i installed OpenFOAM2.1.0 and paraview3.12.0,but when i use paraview ,sometimes there occurring segment fault.who can give me some advice to overcome this error.Thanks a lot.

wyldckat February 20, 2012 05:20

Greetings hei@ge,

Try this:
Code:

paraFoam -builtin
I've seen the built-in reader being more stable than the official OpenFOAM reader.

Best regards,
Bruno

hei@ge February 20, 2012 05:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 345267)
Greetings hei@ge,

Try this:
Code:

paraFoam -builtin
I've seen the built-in reader being more stable than the official OpenFOAM reader.

Best regards,
Bruno

Hi,first,thank for your replying .I think that paraFoam -builtin is just a way of open case in the root of case.I use paraFoam in the root of case,then i get the fault.

wyldckat February 20, 2012 05:38

Really? You don't believe me?? Then try this to see if I'm right or not:
Code:

paraFoam -help
:p

hei@ge February 20, 2012 05:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 345273)
Really? You don't believe me?? Then try this to see if I'm right or not:
Code:

paraFoam -help
:p

sorry,i did not mean that.i have tryed it .but there are some problem.because my case is not decomposed.How can i use paraFoam -builtin in my case which is not decomposed?Thanks a lot.

wyldckat February 20, 2012 09:51

Hi hei@ge,

Quote:

Originally Posted by hei@ge (Post 345275)
sorry,i did not mean that.i have tryed it .but there are some problem.because my case is not decomposed.How can i use paraFoam -builtin in my case which is not decomposed?Thanks a lot.

No problem! But I think you aren't seeing very well how the built-in reader works.
The built-in reader can open both kinds of cases, namely decomposed and cases that have not been decomposed!
So I don't understand what kind of problem are you getting... any chance you can post a snapshot of the problem you are getting?

Best regards,
Bruno

hei@ge February 20, 2012 21:08

I use paraFoam -builtin open my case,and i chose "reconstructed case".Then i get a message: p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } line 6481
vtkOpenFOAMReaderPrivate (0x9ea1ea0): Error reading line 22 of /root/OpenFOAM/root-2.1.0/run/tutorials/incompressible/simpleFoam/wf2/0/epsilon: Expected number, string or (, found turbulentEpsilon

ERROR: In /home/opencfd/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-2.1.0/ParaView-3.12.0/VTK/IO/vtkOpenFOAMReader.cxx, line 6481
vtkOpenFOAMReaderPrivate (0x9ea1ea0): Error reading line 21 of /root/OpenFOAM/root-2.1.0/run/tutorials/incompressible/simpleFoam/wf2/0/k: Expected number, string or (, found turbulentKE

ERROR: In /home/opencfd/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-2.1.0/ParaView-3.12.0/VTK/IO/vtkOpenFOAMReader.cxx, line 6481
vtkOpenFOAMReaderPrivate (0x9ea1ea0): Error reading line 21 of /root/OpenFOAM/root-2.1.0/run/tutorials/incompressible/simpleFoam/wf2/0/p: Expected number, string or (, found pressure.

Can you give me some advice,Thanks very much.

Sam-CFD February 21, 2012 02:53

Unfortunately, I'm also facing problems with using paraFoam. I had reinstalled OpenFOAM 2.1 and ParaView 3.12 from source build as described on OpenFOAM website.

Especially, when I tried to use Plot over Line, paraFoam is crashing on my Ubuntu 10.04, from CAELinux. The following message gets displayed

X Error: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation) 1
Extension: 154 (Uknown extension)
Minor opcode: 182 (Unknown request)
Resource id: 0x3e02d9d
paraview: ../../src/xcb_io.c:183: process_responses: Assertion `!(req && current_request && !(((long) (req->sequence) - (long) (current_request)) <= 0))' failed.

I tried Bruno's proposal to use paraFoam -builtin, but the problem still persists. Any suggestions will be highly valuable.

Thank you.

hei@ge February 21, 2012 03:08

The problem is still confusing me .When i solve it ,I will tell you how to do it.

wyldckat February 21, 2012 05:42

Hi hei@ge and Sam-CFD,

hei@ge: OK, now we are getting somewhere. Your problem is related to a filesystem problem or locale interpretation problem. A few more questions:
  • Do you have OpenOAM installed inside a virtual machine? And if so, is the folder of your case being shared with the real machine?
  • Is your Linux installation done in your native language or in English?

Sam-CFD: The drivers for your machine's graphics card are probably not properly installed.
The other possibility is due to one of several glitches that occurs every once in a while:
Best regards,
Bruno

Sam-CFD February 21, 2012 07:12

Thanks Bruno. The Plot over Line is working for me perfectly.

My problem was fixed after rebooting. It seems after installing the Graphic drivers, I hadn't rebooted my machine yet.

Sam

hei@ge February 21, 2012 20:43

Thank you,Bruno.I install double system:my host machine is XP,and i install ubuntu10.04 in the F disk. My ubuntu10.04 's language is chinese.In my p case,there is one symbol "$",whether the symbol of $ is too new for reader to recognize it?

wyldckat February 22, 2012 04:45

Hi hei@ge,

Indeed, it's very possible to be a problem with locale. The usual fix is:
Code:

export LC_ALL=C
Before running the applications that need an English locale. But it seems that lately this doesn't always work.

Best regards,
Bruno

hei@ge February 23, 2012 21:36

Thanks a lot .I think some warnings do not always influent the process of the simulation,right?

wyldckat February 24, 2012 04:20

Hi hei@ge,

Quote:

Originally Posted by hei@ge (Post 346018)
Thanks a lot .I think some warnings do not always influent the process of the simulation,right?

Depends on what the warning message says ;)

Best regards,
Bruno