CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   ParaView (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/paraview/)
-   -   Animating unsteady data from Fluent in Paraview.. (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/paraview/100094-animating-unsteady-data-fluent-paraview.html)

frodooon April 20, 2012 04:50

Animating unsteady data from Fluent in Paraview..

Hello,

I would like to create an animation from an unsteady calculation done with Fluent14.
Of course I could do it directly in Fluent, but I'd like to do it with Paraview.

I have already done postprocessing in Paraview from Fluent files, but only for steady calculations, that require only to load one Ensight file exported from Fluent's calculation.

Now the question is : is it possible to do -in Paraview- unsteady animations from Fluent file(s) ?

I never used OpenFOAM, but I know it allows Paraview to somehow load all the time steps in one file, and then create an unsteady animation in Paraview..

Is that possible from Fluent too ? If yes, how ? Should I export several time steps from fluent and export for each one of these an Ensight file.. ? But that would be very time consuming! Or is it a way to load only one file exported from Fluent and have all the temporal information contained in it ?

Thanks a lot,

Arnaud.

PS : I'm using Paraview 3.12

NormalVector September 17, 2012 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by frodooon (Post 355769)
Hello,

I would like to create an animation from an unsteady calculation done with Fluent14.
Of course I could do it directly in Fluent, but I'd like to do it with Paraview.

I have already done postprocessing in Paraview from Fluent files, but only for steady calculations, that require only to load one Ensight file exported from Fluent's calculation.

Now the question is : is it possible to do -in Paraview- unsteady animations from Fluent file(s) ?

I never used OpenFOAM, but I know it allows Paraview to somehow load all the time steps in one file, and then create an unsteady animation in Paraview..

Is that possible from Fluent too ? If yes, how ? Should I export several time steps from fluent and export for each one of these an Ensight file.. ? But that would be very time consuming! Or is it a way to load only one file exported from Fluent and have all the temporal information contained in it ?

Thanks a lot,

Arnaud.

I'm very interested in a solution as this is exactly the same situation I'm in. I would like to animate transient Fluent calculations preferably in the native .cas and .dat Fluent formats. I'm able to see and manipulate my data for one timestep using the Ensight format but it seems the rest of the transient data is lost. Anyone have any ideas?

vmlxb6 September 20, 2012 10:04

I am too waiting for the solution for this !!! would appreciate if someone had a solution to this. Thanks.

makaveli_lcf October 8, 2012 09:26

Hi all!

I made a small python script, that post-processes FLUENT unsteady results:

Code:

#!/usr/bin/python

#  Load system libs
import os, glob

# Load paraview staff
from paraview.simple import *

# Some magic to make paraview not reset my zooming settings
servermanager.LoadState("qq.pvsm")
SetActiveView(GetRenderView())
Render()
Render()

# Loop through dat files
for file in glob.glob(os.path.join('./res/', '*[05]0.dat') ):
        # Unlink old dat file and link the new one
        os.unlink('fluent.dat')
        os.symlink(file, 'fluent.dat')
        # Delete old state object from the pipeline browser
        Delete(FindSource('fluent.cas'))
        # Reload state
        servermanager.LoadState("qq.pvsm")
        # Check which file we are rendering
        print file
        # Do rendering
        SetActiveView(GetRenderView())
        Render()
        WriteImage(file+".png")

I run this script in GUI mode through pythonshel->run script.
I tried the batch mode, but it resets all my coloring settings as well as my zooming preferences. Moreover it renders the frame around color scale.

Hint: qq is a State file, where you save you scene settings.

jiec827 November 16, 2012 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by frodooon (Post 355769)
Hello,

Thanks a lot,

Arnaud.

Is your problem solved now?
I am got stuck in the same issue^_^
Could you give me a hand?
THX

frodooon December 18, 2012 04:46

Thank you ! I'll try that !
Sorry I don't come often on this forum, and I thought nobody would ever answer this post ;)
So thanks again !

Lilly January 15, 2013 04:01

Dear all,

did anybody find the solution to this problem?
Is it possible to load a stack of (ensight)-data from Fluent to Paraview and create an animation?
Thanks a million for any idea and help!
Lilly

makaveli_lcf January 15, 2013 06:45

Lilly!

Give me that million and read post #4)

Cheers,
Alex

Lilly January 15, 2013 11:15

Thank you Alex :)!
I tried to use your script, but I always get an error message (syntax error) and cannot find the solution (I am not really good at python). Are you loading *.dat-files and the corresponding *.cas-file?
Lilly

makaveli_lcf January 16, 2013 03:12

Dear Lilly!

We can try your files. So please upload archive with your example FLUENT files and I will see what's wrong and give here some small tutorial with your data and my modified script.

hrvig May 9, 2014 10:39

How to read Fluent Ensight result files in ParaView:

Copy and rename your .encas file to "something.case"
Open this file using ParaView and voila!

Please write back if you have any problems