CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   ParaView (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/paraview/)
-   -   Vectors in z-direction (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/paraview/106672-vectors-z-direction.html)

Tobi September 5, 2012 05:41

Vectors in z-direction

Hey all,

just a (simple?) question. I wanna show the glyph on a slice only on the z-velocity component. If I am using the filter glyph I get the vector of the mag(U). Is it possible to show only the glyph in z-direction? If yes (and I think that is not a problem) how can I manage it.

Thanks in advance
Tobi

wyldckat September 8, 2012 15:27

Hi Tobi,

I'm a bit late to answer you, but one of the answers is rather simple: use the Calculator filter!

Use it to create a new vector, based on the original one, but which you only copy the Z data ;) Or you could even use it to point to X or Y :D

Best regards,
Bruno

Tobi September 10, 2012 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 380882)
Hi Tobi,

I'm a bit late to answer you, but one of the answers is rather simple: use the Calculator filter!

Use it to create a new vector, based on the original one, but which you only copy the Z data ;) Or you could even use it to point to X or Y :D

Best regards,
Bruno

Hi Bruno,

I used the calculator filter - but how can I create a Vectorfield ?
Well I ll have a look at it later again.

Tobi

7islands September 14, 2012 06:29

Tobi,

If your have a vector field named e.g. "velocity", try "velocity_Z*kHat" as the calculator expression, where the field name with a _Z (or _X or _Y for x- and y-axes) appended denotes a scalar field of the z-axis component of the vector field and kHat is a z-directional unit vector (0 0 1). And glyph the "Result" vector field.

Also, when you check the result by making a comparison with a glyph representation of the original vector field, don't forget to set the scale factors of the glyph filters (for the Z-component field and for the original field) to an identical value so that they have the same visual magnification.

Takuya

Tobi September 15, 2012 12:59

Hi all,

I forget something and mixed up some wrong details.

I have a plane with the normal to z.
So I wanna have the Glyph on that plane with the x and y components. the z - component should be zero :o

Well one way I found out is to plot the glyph as normal and set the view direction normal to the surface so you can not see the z-components couse that is parallel to the direction of view and so you do not realize that.

After it I switch to 2D - glyph and it looks very nice.

But is there a other solution? More like the way Takuya goes?

Hope now its clear?

Tobi

7islands September 15, 2012 13:31

It is so trivial if you get the full idea of my previous post that I'd leave you to find the solution by yourself. Just look for the x- and y-directional unit vector names (similar to kHat for the z direction) from the calculator panel.

T

Tobi September 15, 2012 16:00

Oh yes - it is :)

Thanks a lot.
Never realized the operators "kHat, jHat, iHat" since 2 years :o

Tobi September 15, 2012 16:06

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Takuya,

well a further question.
Do you know how to remove the vectors on the boundarys ? :/

Like in the picture? I tried to set the z-component to zero but it dont work?
Any suggestions?

Tobi

Tobi September 15, 2012 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobi (Post 381941)
Hey Takuya,

well a further question.
Do you know how to remove the vectors on the boundarys ? :/

Like in the picture? I tried to set the z-component to zero but it dont work?
Any suggestions?

Tobi

SOLVED ... Thanks for reading and your advice.

Tobi