Using PV-Server

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   May 18, 2013, 10:07
Default Using PV-Server

Michael Erdmann
merdmann is on a distinguished road
Dear all,

i am using paraview 3.98.1 on a linux OpenSUSE 12.1 box (x86_64 architecture). Since i have some spare servers (1x8Core Intel & 4 Core Super Micro all x86_64) i would like to use these boxes to support support paraview while processing larger datasets. I am using MPI 1.4.1 on both machines configured as beowulf cluster.

In your documentation i found that is should submit in a multicore environment the pvserver as shown below! Which leads to the not unexpected result that the seconds server fails to bind on the port which is used by the first server. How is the pvserver to be started up in a multicore environment?

merdmann@hal:~$ ssh hal mpirun -np 2 /opt/ParaView-3.98.1-Linux-64bit/bin/pvserver
Waiting for client...
Connection URL: cs://hal:11111
Accepting connection(s): hal:11111
Waiting for client...
Connection URL: cs://hal:11111
ERROR: In /home/utkarsh/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/VTK/Common/System/vtkSocket.cxx, line 206
vtkServerSocket (0x5e50a0): Socket error in call to bind. Address already in use.

ERROR: In /home/utkarsh/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/ParaViewCore/ClientServerCore/Core/vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager.cxx, line 354
vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager (0x553380): Failed to set up server socket.

Exiting...
merdmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 20, 2013, 04:33
Exclamation Using PV-Server

Michael Erdmann
Seems somehow the mpiexec from my OpenMPI installation does behave different then the one which is bundled with Paraview. While using the bundled mpiexec i am to use my 8 core server now. I have a small wrapper:

merdmann@askar:~$ cat *.sh
#!/bin/bash -x
DISPLAY=askar:0.0; export DISPLAY
m=`uname -m`
case $m in
i686)
home=/opt/ParaView-3.98.1-Linux-32bit/lib/paraview-3.98
;;

x86_64)
home=/opt/ParaView-3.98.1-Linux-64bit/lib/paraview-3.98
;;
esac
PATH=${home}:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${home}; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

${home}/mpiexec -np $1 ${home}/pvserver -rc --client-host=askar

which call in the server specification. The unfortunate thing is that i can't use my
other server since some how the hostfiles are not handled correctly. It seems some
lib for hydra is missing.

The setup work but i am not happy specifically because the paraview does not utilize my OpenMPI installation. Any idea what the issue could be?

Michael

Old   May 20, 2013, 17:22
Super Moderator

Bruno Santos
wyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nice
Greetings Michael,

If you want ParaView to use the MPI toolbox that your system has got, then you'll have to rebuild ParaView from source.

Problem is that I'm not sure what to suggest to you... there are at least 2 ways that I know of for building the latest ParaView versions:
Best regards and good luck!
Bruno
wyldckat is online now   Reply With Quote

Old   May 21, 2013, 14:34
Red face Using PV-Server

Michael Erdmann
Thanxs; i will take option 2