CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   ParaView (
-   -   Fluent to Paraview (

Nick April 14, 2008 11:41

Fluent to Paraview
I have managed to export from Fluent to Paraview v3.2.1 , using the ensight case format and I can view my results ok,

but can anybody tell whether I can access the zone information from fluent i.e walls and inlets etc of my model. is this possible in Paraview? or has something gone wrong in the translation?

I want to display contours on a complex 3d surface.

Charles April 14, 2008 17:24

Re: Fluent to Paraview
Use the filter "Extract Datasets". Here the 3.* versions of Paraview are inferior to the later 2.* versions like 2.6, which kept the names of the surfaces.

Nick April 15, 2008 03:55

aha, thats worked thankyou,

yes its a shame it has not picked up the names.

is their a way to rename the Groups and blocks in paraview, I can't seem to see anything obvious.

Charles April 15, 2008 05:34

Not that I know of. But rolling back to 2.6 is not really a big hardship, it is pretty capable, and in some respects (like the named zones) easier to use.

federico April 16, 2008 11:14

Hi, I was trying to do the same, namely export fluent files to paraview using the ensight format, but i failed, simply because the files exported by fluent have the extension .encas .geo .vel .scl, while the files read by paraview should have extensions .case or .sos i tryed to read these files anyway but it didn't work. can you tell me how should i proceed? thanks a lot, Federico

Nick April 16, 2008 11:17

just rename your *.encas file to *.case , paraview will read this file (this file is just a reference for all the others) and automatically read in the scalars and geometry. make sure you set paraview to the little endian option.

federico April 16, 2008 11:25

thanks a lot!