CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Pointwise & Gridgen

Set 2 or more boundary conditions for 1 domein

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   June 18, 2016, 10:06
Default Set 2 or more boundary conditions for 1 domein
  #1
Member
 
Omid Shekari
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 2
Omish is on a distinguished road
I want to have a "temperature inlet" boundary condition and also a "velocity inlet" for my inlet domain. Is it possible to have two boundary conditions for one domain?
First of all there is no BC option such as a "temperature" related thing, in addition i can't have two boundry types for one domain.
When i import my CAE file to Ansys Workbench, i can't edit my Boundary conditions.
I'd be thankful if you solve this either in ansys or pointwise.
Omish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 20, 2016, 11:13
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
David Garlisch
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pointwise HQ
Posts: 144
Rep Power: 5
dgarlisch is on a distinguished road
In Pointwise, you can apply different BCs to each "side" of domains that are between two blocks (connection domains).

However, this will cause the points in the BC patch to be "inflated" so there are topologically distinct elements on either side of that patch. Basically, this will create a zero-volume hole in the grid with a set of elements on one side that are XYZ coincident with an identical set of elements on the other.

If you are using the ANSYS CAE solver in Pointwise, you can also use the Radiator, Fan or Porous Jump BCs to to disable the inflation. In this case, the collection of faces in the BC patch are added to their own zone.
Attached Images
File Type: png baffleInflation.png (13.9 KB, 6 views)
dgarlisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 20, 2016, 20:10
Default
  #3
Member
 
Omid Shekari
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 2
Omish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarlisch View Post
In Pointwise, you can apply different BCs to each "side" of domains that are between two blocks (connection domains).

However, this will cause the points in the BC patch to be "inflated" so there are topologically distinct elements on either side of that patch. Basically, this will create a zero-volume hole in the grid with a set of elements on one side that are XYZ coincident with an identical set of elements on the other.

If you are using the ANSYS CAE solver in Pointwise, you can also use the Radiator, Fan or Porous Jump BCs to to disable the inflation. In this case, the collection of faces in the BC patch are added to their own zone.
Thanks. But Before everything you didn't answer my basic question at all !
Is there any thermal and heat transfer BC (like a constant heat flux) in point wise? Cause all I see are mechanic fluid BCs (velocity, pressure etc.).
and about you answer thanks again ,but first of all my inlet domain is obviously not between two blocks (or as you say it's not a connection domain). And secondly even if it was, how can i choose the second domain which has same coordinates with the first one to set a different BC for it? Each domains is recognized and shown as ONE domain in domain list. Any solution for that?
Omish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 21, 2016, 10:50
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
David Garlisch
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pointwise HQ
Posts: 144
Rep Power: 5
dgarlisch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omish View Post
I want to have a "temperature inlet" boundary condition and also a "velocity inlet" for my inlet domain. Is it possible to have two boundary conditions for one domain?
First of all there is no BC option such as a "temperature" related thing, in addition i can't have two boundry types for one domain.
When i import my CAE file to Ansys Workbench, i can't edit my Boundary conditions.
I'd be thankful if you solve this either in ansys or pointwise.
It is NOT possible to apply two BCs to a boundary domain in Pointwise. So, if there is a "solution", it will have to be done in Fluent.

The Pointwise CAE exporters should handle all relevant BC types supported by a given solver. If a Fluent BC type is missing from the list of BC types displayed in Pointwise, please log a bug with support.

I am not familiar enough with Fluent (or any other solver) to be able to answer specific questions about how to use or change BC types using the Fluent UI. Questions about how to use Fluent should probably be posted in the ANSYS forum.
dgarlisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 22, 2016, 07:28
Default
  #5
Member
 
Omid Shekari
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 2
Omish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarlisch View Post
It is NOT possible to apply two BCs to a boundary domain in Pointwise. So, if there is a "solution", it will have to be done in Fluent.

The Pointwise CAE exporters should handle all relevant BC types supported by a given solver. If a Fluent BC type is missing from the list of BC types displayed in Pointwise, please log a bug with support.

I am not familiar enough with Fluent (or any other solver) to be able to answer specific questions about how to use or change BC types using the Fluent UI. Questions about how to use Fluent should probably be posted in the ANSYS forum.
Thank you. It was helpful.
I noticed something. Even in fluent, thermal/heat transfer BCs are not shown until energy equation is ticked. that's why they aren't in PW(poinwise) as well. So in PW how should I turn "energy equation" on after choosing Ansys Fluent as solver, so that those options appear?
Omish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 22, 2016, 10:45
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
David Garlisch
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pointwise HQ
Posts: 144
Rep Power: 5
dgarlisch is on a distinguished road
You can't turn "energy equation" on or off in Pointwise.

It looks like we missed some BC types during implementation.

You will need to set these boundary patches to some other BC type in Pointwise and then change them to the desired thermal/heat transfer BC type once the grid is loaded into Fluent.

Please log a bug with Pointwise support so I can allocate time to fix this.
dgarlisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 22, 2016, 12:58
Default
  #7
Member
 
Omid Shekari
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 2
Omish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarlisch View Post
You can't turn "energy equation" on or off in Pointwise.

It looks like we missed some BC types during implementation.

You will need to set these boundary patches to some other BC type in Pointwise and then change them to the desired thermal/heat transfer BC type once the grid is loaded into Fluent.

Please log a bug with Pointwise support so I can allocate time to fix this.
I appreciate your help. I did report it by email as you said by the following address. (Omid.shekarii@gmail.com)
Omish is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic Nozzle-Expander Design karmavatar CFX 20 March 20, 2016 09:44
Wind turbine simulation Saturn CFX 45 February 8, 2016 05:42
Waterwheel shaped turbine inside a pipe simulation problem mshahed91 CFX 3 January 10, 2015 12:19
An error has occurred in cfx5solve: volo87 CFX 5 June 14, 2013 17:44
Error finding variable "THERMX" sunilpatil CFX 8 April 26, 2013 07:00


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:16.