CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   Pointwise & Gridgen (
-   -   Regarding Gridgen Meshing Software (

sid June 29, 2010 09:52

Regarding Gridgen Meshing Software
Hello everyone,
I have a small doubt regarding Gridgen 1510 software. Is it possible to mesh the actuator disc along with the wing using grid gen software. I would be thankful to you if you provide me the information. #

Thank you

rmatus June 29, 2010 10:08

No problem for Gridgen

Handling an actuator disk and wing will be no problem for Gridgen. To model the actuator disk, use a baffle face, which is a non-closed block face.

If you have any questions, let me know. Also, Gridgen 15.15 is the latest version. If you have current maintenance, you should give it a try. You can download it from

sid July 1, 2010 09:02

Hi Rick, Thanks for your reply. I have structured mesh near the flap and in the far-field also. Can you please let me know if i can then use the actuator disc in gridgen and in my future simulation there wont be a problem.

rmatus July 1, 2010 09:41

That works too.
That is still no problem. Thin surfaces (baffles) are handled differently in structured grids in Gridgen, but they are still easy to do.

Since there are not internal faces in a structured block, include the actuator disk (or other thin surface) in one of the block faces. By default, Gridgen will assign this a connection-type ASW BC, assuming you want it to be treated as just an interior face of the flow volume. You can override that in the ASW->Set BCs menu by selecting the domain(s) you want to override and applying a different boundary condition.

You can mix and match structured and unstructured blocks, baffles and non-baffles, however you want in the same grid in Gridgen.

Hope this helps.