CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   Pointwise & Gridgen (
-   -   Can GridGen generate block with non-matching cell faces ? (

newcomer February 15, 2011 05:07

Can GridGen generate block with non-matching cell faces ?
Hi all,

I am trying to generate a 2D structured mesh with non-matching faces using GridGen. Howver, I have not figured out how to do it yet... Does anyone know whether such mesh can be generated in GridGen and how ?

Thank you.

cnsidero February 15, 2011 10:12

1 Attachment(s)

Yes, you can make non-matching faces in a 2D mesh (structured and unstructured) - and 3D for that matter. You simply need two connectors at the same location with a different #of points and/or distribution. Just remember, Gridgen will automatically merge connectors with the same # of points and distribution, so before you draw the second be sure to change the default dimension, spacing and/or distribution.

I've attached an image demonstrating it for you.

Good luck, Chris

newcomer February 15, 2011 21:50

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for your suggestions and for the attached example !

priya_c45 February 15, 2011 22:57

I recently downloaded gridgen but i am unable to retrieve the license as am a student...what do i do?

rugabug February 16, 2011 02:43

Go to contact them and say you are a student and maybe they can work something out with you.

priya_c45 February 16, 2011 22:18

they say that they can't do anything for students..they need professors to do the stuff...

jchawner February 21, 2011 09:24

Hi Priya,

We do require that a professor request the no-cost evaluation licenses for academic sites. That's so we don't get multiple requests for basically the same site. So just ask your professor to complete the form at and we'll setup their evaluation license. And hopefully shortly after, your professor will want to get a permanent license and perhaps join our teaching partnership program.

Best Regards