CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   Pointwise & Gridgen (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/pointwise/)
-   -   Changing Pointwise length scale (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/pointwise/94750-changing-pointwise-length-scale.html)

RuiVO November 24, 2011 08:02

Changing Pointwise length scale

Greetings,

How to change length scale of Pointwise from meters to millimeters?

I ask this because I have one T106 geometry in pointwise but its designed in meters. When I load this mesh in Fluent I can change the length scale easily. But when I run in OpenFoam the same is not so easy since OF is predefined to run in meters and my solutions aren't exactly the same since one of the blades has a 86 millimeters for axial chord and the other one in OpenFoam has 86 meters. The pressure distribution is similar but the total values of pressure are completely different. I guess with the correct adimensionalization I could get similar results, but I prefer to obtain actual similar results of the same order of magnitude.

Best regards

Rui

jchawner November 27, 2011 16:36

Hi Rui:

Pointwise is dimensionless so you don't change units.

But to scale the mesh you just select everything and use Edit, Transform, Scale by the appropriate factors.

Hope this helps.

RuiVO December 1, 2011 17:11

Hi jchawner,

Thank you for your answer. The was exactly what I did :D !

Best regards

Rui

YNM_07 August 21, 2013 07:54

Hi Guys,

I understand that pointwise works with a dimensionless length unit and you can scale the it down to achieve the appropriate sizing for export into your chosen solver. However, my issue is I have a geometry that includes a feature that is extremely small in relation to the largest dimension (1/1000th). When I scale by the appropriate factors I lose some accuracy in the feature, which happens to be a hemispherical protrusion, and it truncates the mentioned geometry.

Any suggestions on how to approach this? I will be importing the mesh into Fluent and although I see you can change the length scale in fluent, I would prefer to keep it in meters in order to avoid any possible errors throughout the analysis.

Any help would be much appreciated if you guys have any ideas!

Thanks in advance!

YNM_07

Far August 21, 2013 14:37

I guess best option would to scale the mesh in Fluent (always).

YNM_07 August 22, 2013 08:16

Perfect, sorry that must have seemed like a silly question! I was unaware you could do that in Fluent, will give it a go.

Thanks again for your help!

Yannick

rmatus August 22, 2013 17:21

Scaling in Pointwise maintains geometry

Yannick:

Scaling the geometry in Pointwse should not truncate any parts. Are you sure the geometry is actually truncated and it is not a display artifact? You can check that by making sure Pointwise is set to use double-precision graphics. In Pointwise, go to Edit, Preferences and make sure Double Precision Graphics is checked on in the Graphics pane.

Could you post before and after images so I can see what is happening?

Thanks,
Rick

YNM_07 August 22, 2013 17:44

Yeah it could actually be a graphics problem. I initially thought it may be but didn't want to take any chances. I will give that a go sometime today a let you know how that goes. I can post some images as well.

Thanks for the response guys, really appreciate the help.

YNM_07

tcarrigan August 23, 2013 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by RuiVO (Post 333414)
But when I run in OpenFoam the same is not so easy since OF is predefined to run in meters and my solutions aren't exactly the same since one of the blades has a 86 millimeters for axial chord and the other one in OpenFoam has 86 meters.

You can scale the grid in OpenFOAM by transforming the points. For example, to go from mm to m you would use the following command:

Code:

transformPoints -scale '(0.001 0.001 0.001)'

jitendraseregar@gmail.com February 2, 2016 04:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchawner (Post 333719)
Hi Rui:

Pointwise is dimensionless so you don't change units.

But to scale the mesh you just select everything and use Edit, Transform, Scale by the appropriate factors.

Hope this helps.

If I have to change length scale in say meters so how much or what scaling factor should be used? any help would be much appreciated