CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   Site Help, Feedback & Discussions (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/site-help-feedback-discussions/)
-   -   Firefox problem: Weird display and inability to post (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/site-help-feedback-discussions/66675-firefox-problem-weird-display-inability-post.html)

gschaider July 21, 2009 13:35

Firefox problem: Weird display and inability to post
 
Hi!

I guess this is more a problem of my browser but I thought maybe somebody here experienced the same problem and might be able to give me a hint: for the past few days the cfd-online forums behave strangly in my Firefox (Linux, 3.0 - later upgraded to 3.5 with no change):
  • The page is not correctly displayed. I see the logo on top and then all the entries in the "Home", "News" etc menu-entries from the top of the page as a list. After that the postings follow in the usual fashion. But that is not the baddest thing:
  • When I write a posting after I press "Preview" or "Submit" I get the message that my posting is less than 10 letters long and won't be posted. The text I entered is gone (to write this posting I had to go to Opera)

I suspect, that this behaviour has something to do with JavaScript but I never changed any setting that had to do with this and I checked and everything looks OK.

Has anyone ever experienced a similar behaviour and could give me a hint how to reolve this?

Thanks for listening
Bernhard

pete July 21, 2009 16:16

I'm using Firefox 3.5.1 and have previously used most older Firefox versions without any problems. Sometimes I have had similar problems due to a corrupted cache. Try to delete your cache and all your previously downloaded items to see if that helps.

By the way, people using Firefox 3.5.0 should update asap since there is a serious security problem in 3.5.0. Do not use Firefox 3.5.0 and surf on unknown sites.

jola July 21, 2009 16:25

If you get the top menus as a long list that indicates that the cascading style sheets are not loaded correctly. It could possibly also be a javascript problem as you indicated. But if you have not changed any default settings in Firefox it should work. At least Firefox works fine for me. Pete's idea of a broken cache sounds like a possible explanation, your local copy of the CSS sheets or perhaps the javascipt files for CFD Online might be corrupted.

gschaider July 22, 2009 05:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 223530)
I'm using Firefox 3.5.1 and have previously used most older Firefox versions without any problems. Sometimes I have had similar problems due to a corrupted cache. Try to delete your cache and all your previously downloaded items to see if that helps.

The tip with the cache was spot-on: Thanks. Should have thought about this myself

Quote:

Originally Posted by jola (Post 223531)
By the way, people using Firefox 3.5.0 should update asap since there is a serious security problem in 3.5.0. Do not use Firefox 3.5.0 and surf on unknown sites.

Especially CFD-Online ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jola (Post 223531)
If you get the top menus as a long list that indicates that the cascading style sheets are not loaded correctly. It could possibly also be a javascript problem as you indicated. But if you have not changed any default settings in Firefox it should work. At least Firefox works fine for me. Pete's idea of a broken cache sounds like a possible explanation, your local copy of the CSS sheets or perhaps the javascipt files for CFD Online might be corrupted.

Seems like this was the case. Thanks again and sorry for bothering you guys


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:32.