CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   STAR-CCM+ (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/star-ccm/)
-   -   Star-CCM+ Import Surface Mesh Error (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/star-ccm/108541-star-ccm-import-surface-mesh-error.html)

Zeallt October 25, 2012 22:17

Star-CCM+ Import Surface Mesh Error

Hi, I'm new to Star-ccm, and i was trying to learn through some tutorials, but when I tried to 'Import Surface Mesh', I tried .x_t, .stl and .dbs files, but all failed, when I click 'Import Surface Mesh', select unit, click 'OK', the program just closed by itself, anyone had this trouble before, can someone help me out, thx!

abdul099 October 26, 2012 16:23

Which version do you use? Windows or Linux?
I never had the same issues, usually importing surface meshes makes no trouble. Are you sure, your geometry file is okay?

Zeallt October 27, 2012 10:40

I'm using v4.02.007 on windows, I think the files are no problem, they are the original tutorial files with the software.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abdul099 (Post 388762)
Which version do you use? Windows or Linux?
I never had the same issues, usually importing surface meshes makes no trouble. Are you sure, your geometry file is okay?

abdul099 October 27, 2012 18:06

Hm, that's weird. The issue is, I can't reproduce it since I don't have that old versions available.
When it's a legal version, you should have a user account on the CD-adapco support site where you can download a newer version. When it's a cracked version, you're more or less lost - I'm sorry.

However, did you try it on an other machine? Sometimes there are issues with some graphics cards when they are not certified.
Can you make sure, the installation went well? Can you make sure, the surface files are not corrupt?
What happens when you try to import the surface without changing units?

Zeallt October 27, 2012 20:01

I google this issue a little bit, it seems to be graphic card error, this also happens no matters i change the unit or not, but thanks anyway, I'll see if I can make any other improve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abdul099 (Post 388876)
Hm, that's weird. The issue is, I can't reproduce it since I don't have that old versions available.
When it's a legal version, you should have a user account on the CD-adapco support site where you can download a newer version. When it's a cracked version, you're more or less lost - I'm sorry.

However, did you try it on an other machine? Sometimes there are issues with some graphics cards when they are not certified.
Can you make sure, the installation went well? Can you make sure, the surface files are not corrupt?
What happens when you try to import the surface without changing units?

Zeallt October 29, 2012 14:24

I figured it out, it might be something wrong with the displaying, I go to

Tool -> Options -> Visualization, then de-select 'Use Database Rendering', and problem solved.

abdul099 October 29, 2012 15:08

Glad you've sorted it out.

Zeallt October 29, 2012 15:14

thanks for your help as well :)