CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   STAR-CCM+ (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/star-ccm/)
-   -   How to get a plot of fluctuating velocity component{u'(t)} in a turbulent flow (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/star-ccm/109475-how-get-plot-fluctuating-velocity-component-u-t-turbulent-flow.html)

TQIM November 19, 2012 02:50

How to get a plot of fluctuating velocity component{u'(t)} in a turbulent flow

How can we plot fluctuating component of velocity {u'(t)} in a turbulent flow in a channel with respect to time at a point.

Regards
TQIM

triple_r November 19, 2012 11:34

You can create a probe under derived parts and monitor the velocity, or define a field function equal to the velocity minus the average velocity, and then monitor that, but you need to have a value for the average velocity, and that means you should have run the simulation for a long enough time that you have a statistically converged value for the mean velocity. Are you using LES, DES, or DNS?

aqua January 25, 2014 03:52

Hi, Can I ask a similar question please: I am using LES to perform simulation around a cylinder. To compare the results from LES to a time averaged simulation result (like RANS), I would like to plot a scalar of the mean pressure from the LES transient results.

So, I will need to define a filed function, which means, the time average pressure of each point for a certain time.

How to define that field function? Please help and thank you!

Aqua

Quote:

Originally Posted by triple_r (Post 392997)
You can create a probe under derived parts and monitor the velocity, or define a field function equal to the velocity minus the average velocity, and then monitor that, but you need to have a value for the average velocity, and that means you should have run the simulation for a long enough time that you have a statistically converged value for the mean velocity. Are you using LES, DES, or DNS?

SB123 October 16, 2014 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by aqua (Post 471705)
Hi, Can I ask a similar question please: I am using LES to perform simulation around a cylinder. To compare the results from LES to a time averaged simulation result (like RANS), I would like to plot a scalar of the mean pressure from the LES transient results.

So, I will need to define a filed function, which means, the time average pressure of each point for a certain time.

How to define that field function? Please help and thank you!

Aqua

i agree with aqua, i'd liek to do this too?

cwl October 18, 2014 12:10

I guess Monitors -> <Right-Click> -> Field Mean/Variance Monitor might help - depends on value you are trying to estimate; where Field Function argument of Monitor should be Report in specfifc volume of interest.

gravis November 10, 2014 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwl (Post 514966)
I guess Monitors -> <Right-Click> -> Field Mean/Variance Monitor might help - depends on value you are trying to estimate; where Field Function argument of Monitor should be Report in specfifc volume of interest.

See also Article Number 3668 in the Steve Portal.

SB123 November 10, 2014 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravis (Post 518362)
See also Article Number 3668 in the Steve Portal.

AHHH thanks!!!:D

SB123 November 11, 2014 11:22

so this does a field function, or average parameter. how would one go about plotting a average velocity contour map, ie create scalar scene velocity across flow regime along plane C/S. and it varies with each time step... (duh), but then take all of those and create average over entire simulation