CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > STAR-CCM+

about the validation of Star ccm for supercritical water

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   January 22, 2013, 02:52
Smile about the validation of Star ccm for supercritical water
  #1
New Member
 
Zhu
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18
Rep Power: 4
htwana is on a distinguished road
Did anyone ever successfully use starccm to simulate the heat transfer performance of supercritical water within round tube?
htwana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 23, 2013, 00:47
Smile
  #2
New Member
 
Zhu
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18
Rep Power: 4
htwana is on a distinguished road
It seems very few people use star ccm in this field
htwana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 7, 2014, 07:01
Default
  #3
New Member
 
ZENG Cheng
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 2
McKOG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwana View Post
It seems very few people use star ccm in this field
Hello, did you successfully simulate it? Since I am working on the same topic as yours, but I cannot put the right thermodynamic properties into the software.
McKOG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 7, 2014, 09:38
Default
  #4
New Member
 
Zhu
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18
Rep Power: 4
htwana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKOG View Post
Hello, did you successfully simulate it? Since I am working on the same topic as yours, but I cannot put the right thermodynamic properties into the software.
I was told by the technical support of IDAJ that the starccm is not designed for the supercritical fluid, and it can not deal with the drastically changed physical properties of supercritical fluid. However, in the region far away from the pseudo-critical point where the physical properties do not change rapidly, the calculated results (heat transfer coefficient) meet the emprical formula, such as D-B and Watts, well.

I suggest you use fluent or cfx to deal with the problem of supercritical fluid, just like what I am doing now.
htwana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 7, 2014, 09:59
Default
  #5
New Member
 
ZENG Cheng
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 2
McKOG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwana View Post
I was told by the technical support of IDAJ that the starccm is not designed for the supercritical fluid, and it can not deal with the drastically changed physical properties of supercritical fluid. However, in the region far away from the pseudo-critical point where the physical properties do not change rapidly, the calculated results (heat transfer coefficient) meet the emprical formula, such as D-B and Watts, well.

I suggest you use fluent or cfx to deal with the problem of supercritical fluid, just like what I am doing now.
Thanks for your reply! Well, I found one example from your previous post, and I followed your example and I got the good result. However, I have not checked the result with the empirical formulas. If they share a huge gap, I think I will choose Fluent.

Besides, there is a problem within your simulation that the thermodynamic property input is quite complex. Because you chose the polynomial density input, but I do not how to generate the polynomial density curves for my case. Can you show me how to do that?

By the way, from your name, are you Chinese?
McKOG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 7, 2014, 10:13
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Zhu
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18
Rep Power: 4
htwana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKOG View Post
Thanks for your reply! Well, I found one example from your previous post, and I followed your example and I got the good result. However, I have not checked the result with the empirical formulas. If they share a huge gap, I think I will choose Fluent.

Besides, there is a problem within your simulation that the thermodynamic property input is quite complex. Because you chose the polynomial density input, but I do not how to generate the polynomial density curves for my case. Can you show me how to do that?

By the way, from your name, are you Chinese?
First, I use program of steam-water property to get enough data for curve fitting. Then I use the function of originpro to fit the curve under certain pressure, such as 25MPa.
In originpro, the path to fit curve is as follows:
Analysis-fitting-fit polynomial
htwana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 7, 2014, 11:56
Default
  #7
New Member
 
ZENG Cheng
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 2
McKOG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwana View Post
First, I use program of steam-water property to get enough data for curve fitting. Then I use the function of originpro to fit the curve under certain pressure, such as 25MPa.
In originpro, the path to fit curve is as follows:
Analysis-fitting-fit polynomial
But if you can get the steam-water property data, why not use the tabular input directly? Since I find table input also works well. Have you checked the table input in STAR ccm?

Besides, I also checked some literatures which used STAR ccm+ to conduct their simulations, I don't know if they check the simulation results by comparing the results with empirical formulas. It seems it is possible to utilize STAR ccm to conduct the simulations.

Kind regards,

McKOG
McKOG is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using starToFoam clo OpenFOAM Other Meshers: ICEM, Star, Ansys, Pointwise, GridPro, Ansa, ... 33 September 26, 2012 04:04
CFX-Pre problem, pls help!!! cth_yao CFX 0 February 17, 2012 01:52
StarToFoam error Kart OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 1 February 4, 2010 05:38
Trimmed cell and embedded refinement mesh conversion issues michele OpenFOAM Other Meshers: ICEM, Star, Ansys, Pointwise, GridPro, Ansa, ... 2 July 15, 2005 04:15
uptodate water distribution network fredius,magige,tanzanian,(e.a) Main CFD Forum 0 January 27, 2002 08:10


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 19:54.