CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   STAR-CCM+ (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/star-ccm/)
-   -   Problems with exported scenes (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/star-ccm/65761-problems-exported-scenes.html)

quest4energy June 25, 2009 06:46

Problems with exported scenes
 
Hello everyone I am having some challenges with exported scenes from STAR CCM+

The colours that are visible when the scalar scene is exported to a format such as jpg, is different from that visible in the STAR CCM+ GUI before export. However the color scale representing the magnitude of the scalar quanity being observed stays the same leading to misleading results being displayed by the exports

Has anyone had similar problems and how did you resolve them?

vishyaroon June 25, 2009 08:37

Though I have not faced this problem being discussed, I had another problem with STAR CCM+/STAR CD that did not allow me to create jpg files properly. The image would include a large void left behind by the 'Save Image as ' box.

The work around I used to use till this was resolved (this was quite sometime back) was to print screen, take the image to Paint and crop it in Paint. This worked for me, and hope it helps you too.

quest4energy June 25, 2009 09:35

@ vishyaroon thank you for your reply. I have actually thought of using printscreen but the major challenge is I am modeling an Implicit unsteady condition. I have to monitor changes in the scalar scene over the simulation as opposed to viewing at the result at the end of the simulation.

Since the simulation takes a while, I am having to export the files automatically every 30 iterations. This results in a series of faulty images

vishyaroon June 25, 2009 11:08

How do the other color maps work? Do you think they will be useful?

quest4energy June 25, 2009 12:04

@ vishyaroon thank again and I appreciate you help.

The color map in the print screen and the exported image are exactly the same. Validating my fear that the exported image is wrong.

vishyaroon June 25, 2009 14:28

sorry about that, I was probably not clear. I'm not sure if this will resolve the problem, but I was wondering if you have tried the other color maps other than the default Blue-Red option in STAR CCM+? Like the spectrum for example?

quest4energy June 29, 2009 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by vishyaroon (Post 220508)
sorry about that, I was probably not clear. I'm not sure if this will resolve the problem, but I was wondering if you have tried the other color maps other than the default Blue-Red option in STAR CCM+? Like the spectrum for example?

@ vishyaroon thanks again and I appreciate you help. I have tried changing the display to spectrum and I am still having the same problem.

Using black and white color map helps a little since it displays only shades of grey but the shades on the geometry are still not consistent with those visible on the color map at the bottom of the scalar scene

bernarde June 30, 2009 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by quest4energy (Post 220469)
Since the simulation takes a while, I am having to export the files automatically every 30 iterations. This results in a series of faulty images

Hi Adebayo

Im also currently working on an implicit unsteady simulation, and I would like to export scenes at certain times. Is there a way to do this automatically? you mentioned something about automatic export.

Regards

quest4energy June 30, 2009 12:25

Hi Bernade,

you can export scenes at certain times automatically using the following syntax

click on the tabs scenes > scalar scene > attributes

click on update

In the properties box,
- change the update frequency to reflect how often you want it to the export the scalar view, eg. every 5 iterations
- Under file pth, specify where you would like to save the exports
- Make sure the Output Frame To File box is checked

You can then run the simulation and it should export the image files automatically

I hope this helps

bernarde July 1, 2009 02:01

Thanks, I found it. This is a very nice function for unsteady simulations!

MartiJ December 1, 2011 13:26

Hello guys,

I have a problem with exported images as well.
I set the Update properties by the book to have a *.png figure of a scalar scene hard-copied each 0.1s. It works in the beginning, but after a while the update basically fails, either the picture stays the same in Star-CCM+ GUI or it even disappears (scene appears to be fully black).
Just to mention, I did not push any button inside or related to Star-CCM+ software.

In the storage folder I can see files, but the colors are lost, Time level annotation is in other position compared to S-CCM GUI and such weird things.

I can think of it only as some sort on Java problem.

Any help would be appreciated:)

Marti

Pedersen March 4, 2012 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartiJ (Post 334312)
Hello guys,

I have a problem with exported images as well.
I set the Update properties by the book to have a *.png figure of a scalar scene hard-copied each 0.1s. It works in the beginning, but after a while the update basically fails, either the picture stays the same in Star-CCM+ GUI or it even disappears (scene appears to be fully black).
Just to mention, I did not push any button inside or related to Star-CCM+ software.

In the storage folder I can see files, but the colors are lost, Time level annotation is in other position compared to S-CCM GUI and such weird things.

I can think of it only as some sort on Java problem.

Any help would be appreciated:)

Marti

I've got the same problem. The files seem to stop updating after about 1-2 hours. Anybody know a solution to this?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 16:26.