CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   STAR-CCM+ (
-   -   How to set effective thermal conductivity (

highnelly July 31, 2009 05:00

How to set effective thermal conductivity

I am modelling heat transfer in porous medium with star-ccm+. Does anyone know how I set the effective thermal conductivity of the porous region?

Thanks for any help!!

vishyaroon July 31, 2009 10:58

Are you asking for this equation ( I got it directly from STAR CCM+ help menu)?

k_eff = k + mu_t*Cp/Pr_t

However one thing I have always had issue with using porous media with heat transfer in STAR CCM+ is that the equations do not account for the porosity and the solid energy, which play a significant role in transient problems.

highnelly July 31, 2009 11:10

By effective thermal conductivity I mean a weighted thermal conductivity based on the porosity of the medium, i.e k_eff=k_a+(1-e)K_s. But I guess you have answered my question by saying that the solid is not accounted for.

What I am thinking of doing is forcing the thermal conductivity to the desired value in the porous medium region through some user coding. I see Star-CD have this option in the GUI so I think (hope) it will be in Star-CCM soon.

vishyaroon July 31, 2009 11:18

My group has also been in search for this and hopefully CCM+ should come up with this option soon. I'm not sure if they have the option of user sub-routine in version 4.04. I remember we had once given a detailed request on this to adapco.