CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   STAR-CCM+ (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/star-ccm/)
-   -   help with command line in parallel simulation (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/star-ccm/82936-help-command-line-parallel-simulation.html)

ernest December 9, 2010 10:39

help with command line in parallel simulation

Hi,
first of all sorry for my English because I'm Italian.
I'm a Mechanical Engineering student and I'm working with ccm+ for my graduation thesis. I have some problems in starting the simulation on a cluster. I started my work with the 5.04.008 version and I had no problems with the command line, in fact the syntax I used was: starccm+ -batch macro_file.java -machinefile hosts.txt -np 4 simulation.sim. Now I'm working with a new version (5.06.007) and I can't launch the simulation on the cluster, in fact using the same command line of the previous version I take an error: File not found simulation.sim (specify -new to create the file). My operating system is Linux.
Can somebody tell me where I mistake???
Thanks

Nikhil Kumar December 9, 2010 13:26

I think If you select the parallel option when you open or start a new simulation and specify the no of processors that you are using. The command line is specified by default. Atleast this happens with me. I am also using red hat linux.

ernest December 10, 2010 06:05

I use a software (modeFrontier) that by means of geometry changes optimizes simulation results, so i have to create a script in modeFrontier to launch ccm+ on the cluster everytime the optimizator completes a geometry change. hence I'm sorry but your solution can't help me to solve my problem.

MFitl December 13, 2010 04:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernest (Post 286707)
[...]
in fact the syntax I used was: starccm+ -batch macro_file.java -machinefile hosts.txt -np 4 simulation.sim.
[...]
I take an error: File not found simulation.sim (specify -new to create the file).
[...]

Hi,
all you need is written out by starccm+:

starccm+ does not find the simulation file simulation.sim. Probably it does not exist or starccm+ is started in the wrong directory.
In older Version starccm+ would just start with a simulation named simulationXX.sim where XX is a number. Your script would write out the correct named simualtion during/after the run.
Now either the file need to exist or the -new flag must be added to the command line to force starccm+ to create and start the simulation simulation.sim.

call
starccm+ --help
to see all avaiable flags.

Hope it helps,
Matthias

mlawson December 28, 2010 17:02

Response from STAR tec support

Hi,

I was experiencing this same problem and contacted tec support. I was told this issue "is very typical to v5.06. Ask user to shorten his filename and/or directory name without any spaces. That should fix the issue"

Hope this helps,

-Mike

Bipin February 17, 2011 13:16

Hi Ernest,
Did you find an answer to your problem? If not, please get in touch - we may be able to help. Which country are you studying in?
regards,
Bipin Patel

bharatiaero August 15, 2011 06:52

Hi

I am using modeFRONTIER for my project and I need help in scripting to interface this software with a C code. Since reading inputs, compiling code and writing outputs are all taken care of my .exe file, how do I interface it? any tip would be of some help.

Thanks and Regards

Bipin August 16, 2011 06:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatiaero (Post 320094)
I am using modeFRONTIER for my project and I need help in scripting to interface this software with a C code. Since reading inputs, compiling code and writing outputs are all taken care of my .exe file, how do I interface it? any tip would be of some help.

Thanks and Regards

Where are you based? We are in the UK and you can email UK@enginsoft.com for support and we can send you examples of how to achieve this.
regards,
Bipin

bharatiaero August 17, 2011 05:02

I am from India and in need of a few examples to understand how interfacing scripts are written in VB to link modeFRONTIER and my C code.