CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   STAR-CCM+ (
-   -   Export Star-CCM+ Mesh to ICEM (

cfdengineer January 19, 2011 17:01

Export Star-CCM+ Mesh to ICEM
How can I export an Star-CCM+ mesh to ICEM?

RobertB January 20, 2011 08:54

If you have a STAR 4 license you could export through STAR 4.

Does ICEM read files such as the Ensight Geometry file?

xamo January 20, 2011 11:18

I am working a lot with both programs, but I never wanted to export a CCM mesh to ICEM. Only the other direction. Why do you need this?

Do you want to export a volume mesh or a surface mesh? What kind of cells do you have? (tet/trimmed/polys?)

If you have a surface or volume tet mesh it might be possible, but if you have a trimmed or poly mesh I think there is no way.

cfdengineer January 20, 2011 11:33

We use CFX, so we use ICEM to translate the mesh into CFX. It is a hybrid mesh (tets/prisms)

fletc900 January 20, 2011 18:29

I've never done your particular conversion, but you might be able to do it using OpenFoam utilities for file conversion. Here I'm assuming (quick search reveals that you can) import a Fluent *.CAS file into ICEM.

The OpenFoam converters are shown here:

Use starToFoam script (or similar utility) to convert your ccm file into OpenFoam format. Then convert the mesh from OpenFoam format into Fluent format using foamMeshToFluent script. Then from ICEM you should be able to load the Fluent *.cas file...

xamo January 21, 2011 08:26

If it is a pure tet/prism mesh it should work:

--> Try the tecplot export from CCM and the Tecplot mesh import in ICEM.

If this doesn´t work:

--> export as .ccm, Import in STARCD as .ccm, Export Grid as ICEM, rename the .domain file into .uns and open in ICEM as a mesh.

I tried this with a mixed tet/poly mesh and STAR wrote an Error warning, because ICEM cannot read in polys. But the tets were exported correctly from STAR and i could read in the tets in ICEM.