CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   STAR-CCM+ (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/star-ccm/)
-   -   Count particles that leaves through an outlet (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/star-ccm/86842-count-particles-leaves-through-outlet.html)

sma079 April 4, 2011 04:48

Count particles that leaves through an outlet

Hi,

There is maybe a very simple solution to my problem but I am new at this and need some input to move on.

I am working on a cyclone separator case and want to obtain a grade efficiency curve by injecting mono sized particles and then count the particles that leaves the two outlets respectively. I only need to count one of them to obtain the balance.

Im using LES Lagrangian. I read in a post on this forum that I need to use boundary sampling to obtain this. I have chosen that model, but I donīt know how to post process it.

I dont find anything useful about it in the manual either.

I need this for my Master Thesis as I want to compare the results from experiments with simulations.

Please help me out here=)

Best

Svein

sma079 April 4, 2011 06:02

Can also mention that I use version 5.06.010

sma079 April 4, 2011 15:01

Anyone?

Im using a presentation grid to inject about 500 particles at a specific time, and after that no more particles are injected. I just want to know if there is an option to know how many of the injected particles that leaves through one of my outlets.

Best

Svein

Mazine September 19, 2011 10:14

Hi Svein,

I am working on sampling issues right now as well. I try to calculate the loss of particles (radioactive aerosols) during transportation in a air flow. I am injecting mono sized particles and then count the particles which get stuck to the wall.

I'm using Lagrangian Multiphase Model and want to use the boundary sampling to obtain the particle count, but I donīt know how to post process it.

I need this for my Bachelor Thesis as I want to compare the results from experiments with simulations. Can you provide me some information about how you did it during your thesis?

Best regards,

Matėas

RobertB September 20, 2011 07:43

I suggest you ask CD for the file format and/or a basic program that reads the files. Then you can do whatever you want with the data.

We do something similar with STAR and it allows you to get whatever properties/ data you want most easily.

siara817 July 24, 2012 08:55

I know it is so late to answer to this, but, it may work for others: you need to activate Track File model,which is located under the models of lagrangian phase. You need to do that before starting solution. After finishing solution, add the track file which is generated by going to Tools/TrackFiles. Then use the proper field function located in the Tools/Field functions/Track.

MartiJ July 25, 2012 05:30

I did something similar when counting exiting steam bubbles from another liquid. If I remember correctly, you can use "escape" condition for your Lagrangian particles at the outlet boundary and then create a report to read the flow or amount of solid particles hitting your outlet plane.

BR

kannstmasehn May 24, 2013 01:54

What are the settings for that report? I created a sum report and chose all parts. But what kind of scalar function do I need to report how much of the flow rate hits a wall?