CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   STAR-CCM+ (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/star-ccm/)
-   -   Create Interface with different faces (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/star-ccm/90883-create-interface-different-faces.html)

famerfamer July 23, 2011 04:01

Create Interface with different faces

Hey,

Is there anyone who knows how to create an interface using two boundary faces? These two faces have different shapes and areas. Thanks.

abdul099 August 7, 2011 16:13

Just mark both boundaries, right-click and choose "create interface". It doesn't matter whether they have different shapes and sizes. The interface will be created only in the common area. So both boundaries should share some areas (except for periodic interfaces).

emaurici August 10, 2011 10:34

Use merge/imprint or the Surface wrapper

Hello,

first you have to combine both surfaces in part level, then right click on repair surfaces, change the option merge/imprint, select one of the part as source and the other as destination, then click Merge/imprint with a tolerance of 0.1mm. that will create a surface that will intersect both parts and will define the shape of the future interface.

click ok and now split the part that you combine before with rigth click and split surface by topology.

now you have to select all parts and to create with right click new regions, select create interfaces and one region per part, it will atomatically create a new interface with between the diferent size parts.

----------------------------------------------
Another option is that first you first as well in the part level, select the two parts and with rigth click select find part/part contact. then give a tolerance of 0.1mm. When you create the new region, automatically it will create a interface between both regions. with this, you have to use the surface wrapper, and the results are very good.

Have a nice day,

Emaurici

ping August 11, 2011 01:43

Abdul is correct - it is that simple - even if both regions have only one boundary surface.
You only need to go through the imprint process described by Emaurici if you want conformal surface matching - this also enables automatic interface detection at Region creation time.

famerfamer August 13, 2011 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by abdul099 (Post 319205)
Just mark both boundaries, right-click and choose "create interface". It doesn't matter whether they have different shapes and sizes. The interface will be created only in the common area. So both boundaries should share some areas (except for periodic interfaces).

Thanks, Abdul. But after I selected two boundaries and created "in-place" interface, two different faces or boundaries were all highlighted when I click the "interface" node.

However, I think only common areas should be highlighted because, like you mentioned, only this area is the interface I want.

famerfamer August 13, 2011 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by emaurici (Post 319622)
Hello,

first you have to combine both surfaces in part level, then right click on repair surfaces, change the option merge/imprint, select one of the part as source and the other as destination, then click Merge/imprint with a tolerance of 0.1mm. that will create a surface that will intersect both parts and will define the shape of the future interface.

click ok and now split the part that you combine before with rigth click and split surface by topology.

now you have to select all parts and to create with right click new regions, select create interfaces and one region per part, it will atomatically create a new interface with between the diferent size parts.

----------------------------------------------
Another option is that first you first as well in the part level, select the two parts and with rigth click select find part/part contact. then give a tolerance of 0.1mm. When you create the new region, automatically it will create a interface between both regions. with this, you have to use the surface wrapper, and the results are very good.

Have a nice day,

Emaurici

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try the method you provided. But what I've done was to create a very thin slab simply just by extrude a tiny thickness, like 0.01mm in Solidworks. By this way, I can select two same boundaries to create an interface. Do you think it's correct?

famerfamer August 13, 2011 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ping (Post 319676)
Abdul is correct - it is that simple - even if both regions have only one boundary surface.
You only need to go through the imprint process described by Emaurici if you want conformal surface matching - this also enables automatic interface detection at Region creation time.

So what Abdul said was to create a non-conformal interface? I think the default is conformal interface when one simply clicks "create interface", right?

ping August 14, 2011 23:06

please read the Help on interfaces and imprinting - it is all explained. The only difference between a conformal and non-conformal is in the way you have prepared your CAD - if the two surfaces have coincident boundary edges then they are conformal, otherwise they are not, and STAR-CCM+ does not really care - the mesher simply splits the surfaces itself. Adding 'thin' surfaces in SolidWorks is wrong - if you want conformal surfaces, then use the surface split feature in SolidWorks or use Imprinting in STAR-CCM+

abdul099 August 17, 2011 04:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by famerfamer (Post 320011)
Thanks, Abdul. But after I selected two boundaries and created "in-place" interface, two different faces or boundaries were all highlighted when I click the "interface" node.

However, I think only common areas should be highlighted because, like you mentioned, only this area is the interface I want.

Not neccessarily. Even after creating the interface, the whole boundary is still the same boundary as it was before. The faces will be moved to the interface when you initialize the interface. Right-click on the interface (in the interfaces folder!) and choose "initialize". This gives you the chance to see the interface, it should now be yellow rather than grey or whatever. Initializing will also be done automatically when you start solving.