CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   STAR-CCM+ (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/star-ccm/)
-   -   Fluid concentration (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/star-ccm/98832-fluid-concentration.html)

itsme_kit March 20, 2012 08:21

Fluid concentration
 
How to set and visualize the fluid concentration in Star ccm?
Thanks

abdul099 March 21, 2012 06:44

The best method to get your problem solved is to have a look on the user guide and do some tutorials.

The second best method is to describe what you try to do. Some background of your case, choosen physics etc. and what your problem is and hope that somebody can point you to the right direction.
(please note, both of this points require you to think about your problem)

The worst method is to drop a single line here without any background of your problem.
There are no visionaries here (or at least nobody admitted to be one). It's nearly impossible to give a helpful answer without having an idea of the problem.
That's like I would ask "What is x + y" without telling you the values of x and y.

Visualisation of any concentration is usually done by a scalar scene. How you set a concentration highly depends on what the hell ever you try to do.

itsme_kit March 22, 2012 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by abdul099 (Post 350618)
The best method to get your problem solved is to have a look on the user guide and do some tutorials.

The second best method is to describe what you try to do. Some background of your case, choosen physics etc. and what your problem is and hope that somebody can point you to the right direction.
(please note, both of this points require you to think about your problem)

The worst method is to drop a single line here without any background of your problem.
There are no visionaries here (or at least nobody admitted to be one). It's nearly impossible to give a helpful answer without having an idea of the problem.
That's like I would ask "What is x + y" without telling you the values of x and y.

Visualisation of any concentration is usually done by a scalar scene. How you set a concentration highly depends on what the hell ever you try to do.


Hi I'm modelling a turbulent internal flow
I need to obseve the fluid concentration in a specific location inside the path
I have chosen passive scalar in physical model
What is the next step?
Thanks

abdul099 April 1, 2012 15:54

When you just need the value at a specific position over time, you can create a report and a monitor and plot from this report.
When you need to see the "fluid concentration" in let's say a section, then create the section and a scalar scene showing the passive scalar on this section.

itsme_kit April 1, 2012 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by abdul099 (Post 352567)
When you just need the value at a specific position over time, you can create a report and a monitor and plot from this report.
When you need to see the "fluid concentration" in let's say a section, then create the section and a scalar scene showing the passive scalar on this section.

How can I show fluid concentration in scalar scene at different time?

If the tested fluid is air, do we treat it as a multi-component fluid?

Thanks

abdul099 April 1, 2012 16:43

No, air is a single component fluid. Don't bother at oxygen and nitrogen contained in the air, you can't separate the effects of either component.
When you run an unsteady simulation, the scene will updated automatically.

Anyway, I highly recommend you to try out some tutorials. You don't seem to be very familiar with visualisation. Some tutorials might help you since there is much more explanation than I could ever give you in this forum.

siara817 April 6, 2012 06:32

Hi
Do you have any specific pollutant in air?
If yes you need multiphase model.
If know, then maybe it is enough to know what is the density everywhere.
But as Abdul said, it is wise to explain exactly what is your case and which models do you use.
Good luck

itsme_kit April 6, 2012 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by siara817 (Post 353418)
Hi
Do you have any specific pollutant in air?
If yes you need multiphase model.
If know, then maybe it is enough to know what is the density everywhere.
But as Abdul said, it is wise to explain exactly what is your case and which models do you use.
Good luck

As my supervisor suggested, no specific pollutent included
What I am modelling is that a gas detection unit which consists of a diaphragm pump, two gas sensor and pipe connection
I don't need to consider any electrochemical ration in sensor, just fluid dynamics taken into consideration
I set velocity profile obtained from pump as velocity inlet condition for modelling only including pipes and sensor
I need to know some relevant passive scalars inside sensor. Probably such density, fluid concentration or others I'm not sure
Hopefully my statement is clear


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 22:17.