CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   SU2 Shape Design (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/su2-shape-design/)
-   -   Test case for rans optimization? (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/su2-shape-design/129868-test-case-rans-optimization.html)

hejiandong February 14, 2014 13:34

Test case for rans optimization?
 
Hello developers.

Are there any test cases for rans optimization?

thanks

economon February 16, 2014 00:10

Hi,

There are a number of shape design examples that can be found in the TestCases directory. Please see TestCase/optimization_rans/ for a set of several examples. You should find rans-based design cases for both an airfoil and a wing there.

Hope this helps,
Tom

hejiandong February 18, 2014 02:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by economon (Post 475140)
Hi,

There are a number of shape design examples that can be found in the TestCases directory. Please see TestCase/optimization_rans/ for a set of several examples. You should find rans-based design cases for both an airfoil and a wing there.

Hope this helps,
Tom

many thanks for your help. i have successfully running the test cases.

and another question, i want to carry out some optimization for super/hypersonic flows. can SU2 realize it? or can u give me some suggestion.?

Thank u

economon February 24, 2014 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by hejiandong (Post 475437)
and another question, i want to carry out some optimization for super/hypersonic flows. can SU2 realize it? or can u give me some suggestion.?

Indeed, SU2 has been used quite a bit for design in these two flow regimes (and they are very active area of research currently). I might point out the following papers if you're interested in more detail, and there are others available too:

http://adl.stanford.edu/papers/AIAA_Paper_ASM_2012.pdf

Adjoint-Based Aerothermodynamic Shape Design of Hypersonic Vehicles in Non-Equilibrium Flows (AIAA 2014-0513)

hejiandong March 3, 2014 02:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by economon (Post 476394)
Indeed, SU2 has been used quite a bit for design in these two flow regimes (and they are very active area of research currently). I might point out the following papers if you're interested in more detail, and there are others available too:

http://adl.stanford.edu/papers/AIAA_Paper_ASM_2012.pdf

Adjoint-Based Aerothermodynamic Shape Design of Hypersonic Vehicles in Non-Equilibrium Flows (AIAA 2014-0513)

Thanks a lot!
Now i have other questions.

i tried to realize rans optimization with my own grid!

but some times the optimization converged only in the first step!

some times the optimization collapsed after 2 steps due to the large grid deformation, and there are negative volumes or bad quality grids..

how to solve this problem??

i know that SU2_CFD support Hexahedral elements, could i use Hexahedral elements in optimization...does FEA mesh deformation support this kind of elements? because i have seen the test case of rans M6 used Tetrahedral boundary layers, bui i don,t know how to creat this kind of mesh with pointwise.

Tommy Chen March 3, 2014 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by hejiandong (Post 477648)
Thanks a lot!
Now i have other questions.

i tried to realize rans optimization with my own grid!

but some times the optimization converged only in the first step!

some times the optimization collapsed after 2 steps due to the large grid deformation, and there are negative volumes or bad quality grids..

how to solve this problem??

i know that SU2_CFD support Hexahedral elements, could i use Hexahedral elements in optimization...does FEA mesh deformation support this kind of elements? because i have seen the test case of rans M6 used Tetrahedral boundary layers, bui i don,t know how to creat this kind of mesh with pointwise.

Hi Jiandong.

Using pointwise to generate Tetrahedral elements as boundary layer is quite basic and easy, you could use the T-rex functionality of Pointwise V17.

Here is a link of video on youtube, I think it is a good toturial for you to learn Pointwise as a beginner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz661XzE1QE
How T-Rex Unstructured Meshing Aids Transonic Aircraft Drag Reduction

Tommy

hejiandong March 3, 2014 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Chen (Post 477816)
Hi Jiandong.

Using pointwise to generate Tetrahedral elements as boundary layer is quite basic and easy, you could use the T-rex functionality of Pointwise V17.

Here is a link of video on youtube, I think it is a good toturial for you to learn Pointwise as a beginner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz661XzE1QE
How T-Rex Unstructured Meshing Aids Transonic Aircraft Drag Reduction

Tommy

thanks a lot!!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 15:20.