CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > SU2

Surface_Sensitivity variable in surface_adjoint file

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   January 29, 2014, 23:08
Default Surface_Sensitivity variable in surface_adjoint file
  #1
Member
 
Tommy Chen
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: University of Michigan
Posts: 93
Rep Power: 6
Tommy Chen is on a distinguished road
Hi Stanford guys

I have run a continuous adjoint computation of the RAE2822 airfoil in the test cases.
In the surface_adjoint.dat file and the surface_adjoint.csv file, I found that the surface_sensitivity variable is a one dimensional scalar instead of a 2D vector?

Why is the surface sensitivity of 2D airfoil scalar instead of vector ?

Many thanks
Tommy Chen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 29, 2014, 23:41
Default
  #2
Member
 
Tommy Chen
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: University of Michigan
Posts: 93
Rep Power: 6
Tommy Chen is on a distinguished road
So is this 1D surface_sensitivity variable the absolute value of the 2D gradient vector?

If then , what is the variable that difines the direction of the gradient?
Tommy Chen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 30, 2014, 01:58
Default
  #3
Super Moderator
 
Francisco Palacios
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Stanford, CA
Posts: 301
Rep Power: 5
fpalacios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Chen View Post
So is this 1D surface_sensitivity variable the absolute value of the 2D gradient vector?

If then , what is the variable that difines the direction of the gradient?
Hi,
In this link your will find a good reference of the implementation https://adl.stanford.edu/papers/AIAA..._March2012.pdf

Anyway, the computed sensitivity is with respect to displacements in the normal direction. So it is always an scalar... e.g. how change the drag of the aircraft when you move a point on the surface in the normal direction to the surface.

Best,
Francisco
fpalacios is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 30, 2014, 09:41
Default
  #4
Member
 
Tommy Chen
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: University of Michigan
Posts: 93
Rep Power: 6
Tommy Chen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpalacios View Post
Hi,
In this link your will find a good reference of the implementation https://adl.stanford.edu/papers/AIAA..._March2012.pdf

Anyway, the computed sensitivity is with respect to displacements in the normal direction. So it is always an scalar... e.g. how change the drag of the aircraft when you move a point on the surface in the normal direction to the surface.

Best,
Francisco

Thanks Francisco,

So if the swept angle of the wing or the span and chord length of the wing are also design variables,which leads to the change in the plan form, then the normal-to-surface sensitivity is still all that we need to calculate the gradient of the objective function ?
Tommy Chen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 30, 2014, 21:14
Default
  #5
Super Moderator
 
Francisco Palacios
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Stanford, CA
Posts: 301
Rep Power: 5
fpalacios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Chen View Post
Thanks Francisco,

So if the swept angle of the wing or the span and chord length of the wing are also design variables,which leads to the change in the plan form, then the normal-to-surface sensitivity is still all that we need to calculate the gradient of the objective function ?
Yes, it is going to work, and the gradient in the normal direction is everything that you need. The only thing that you should keep in mind is that the sensitivity on geometrical singularities is not right so... some small inaccuracies are expected if you move singular points (fix or round leading edges is a good idea to avoid that situation).

Best,
Francisco
fpalacios is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 30, 2014, 21:22
Default
  #6
Member
 
Tommy Chen
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: University of Michigan
Posts: 93
Rep Power: 6
Tommy Chen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpalacios View Post
Yes, it is going to work, and the gradient in the normal direction is everything that you need. The only thing that you should keep in mind is that the sensitivity on geometrical singularities is not right so... some small inaccuracies are expected if you move singular points (fix or round leading edges is a good idea to avoid that situation).

Best,
Francisco
I get your point, many thanks.

So actually I can use all the normal-to-surface sensitivity and the normal vector (the absolute value of which is the surface element area) to project the gradient to any other design variables developed myself.
Tommy Chen is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
swak4foam building problem GGerber OpenFOAM Installation 54 April 24, 2015 16:02
how to calculate mass flow rate on patches and summation of that during the run? immortality OpenFOAM Post-Processing 82 November 25, 2014 14:16
wmake compiling new solver mksca OpenFOAM Programming & Development 13 August 18, 2014 22:26
OpenFOAM Installation for navalFoam sachinlb OpenFOAM Installation 21 June 23, 2014 08:07
OpenFOAM on MinGW crosscompiler hosted on Linux allenzhao OpenFOAM Installation 127 January 30, 2009 20:08


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 22:20.