Revision as of 16:44, 29 August 2010 by Boyko
Below is a list of some of the famous quotations on CFD
- It's deja-screw all over again
- The world's an exciting place when you know CFD
- In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is
--Anonymous computer scientist
- There are 3 rules to follow when parallelizing large codes. Unfortunately, no one knows what these rules are
--W. Somerset Maugham and Gary Montry
- All models are wrong, but some models are useful
--George P. E. Box
- But as no two (theoreticians) agree on this (skin friction) or any other subject, some not agreeing today with what they wrote a year ago, I think we might put down all their results, add them together, and then divide by the number of mathematicians, and thus find the average coefficient of error.
--Hiram Maxim, early aeronautical designer, 1908.
- As soon as we started programming, we found to our surprise that it wasn't as easy to get programs right as we had thought. Debugging had to be discovered. I can remember the exact instant when I realized that a large part of my life from then on was going to be spent in finding mistakes in my own programs.
-- Maurice Wilkes discovers debugging, 1949
- The purpose of computing is insight not numbers.
-- C. Hastings, 1955
- Turbulence models are voodoo. We still don't know how to model turbulence
--Anonymous fluid dynamicist, in 'Practical Ship Hydrodynamics', Bertram, 2000
- As the computing speed is growing rapidly we realize that there is no such other powerful engine as CFD could be for creating vast amount of useless data
--Boyko Tchavdarov, CFD-Aided Designer
- There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.
-- Peter F. Drucker, awarded the U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2002