SMARTFIRE is an advanced Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) fire simulation environment developed by the Fire Safety Engineering Group (FSEG) at the University of Greenwich, UK. Unlike other CFD software used to simulate fire, SMARTFIRE has been specifically designed and developed as a Fire Simulation Tool to be used by Fire Engineers and is based on more than 20 years of CFD fire modelling experience of FSEG.
SMARTFIRE provides the fire engineer with a desk-top fire-laboratory enabling rapid turnaround of fire simulation analyses. SMARTFIRE has many unique features designed to make problem specification, execution and analysis straightforward and efficient.
The SMARTFIRE CFD Engine can use fully unstructured 3D meshes, although the default meshing system produces structured Cartesian meshes. The CFD Engine supports transient or steady state simulations with heat, flow, K-Epsilon turbulence, thermal radiation using multiple rays, gaseous combustion using the eddy dissipation model, toxicity, smoke and sprinkler modelling.
SMARTFIRE KEY FEATURES:
- User-friendly and fully integrated modelling environment in which to investigate the spread and effects of fire and smoke.
- Scenario Designer allows rapid import of floor plans of whole multi-storey building models (e.g. 2D CAD DXF). Provides room and door finding tools.
- Intuitive Case Specification Environment to create and configure a scenario, providing access to all boundary conditions, physics options, properties, transient behaviour and solution controls.
- Automated mesh generation system is tailored to the needs of fire analysis with embedded expertise specific to the type of geometry being modelled. The meshing system also provides interactive manual mesh control.
- Dynamic (run time) access is provided to the CFD module, allowing full user control and monitoring of the solution, if and when required.
- Support for numerous output formats including a zoned output link to allow the transfer of simulation data to the EXODUS evacuation simulation software.
- Parallel capability enhances performance using a cluster of standard PCs (connected via Ethernet).
- DataView post processing environment provides multiple modes of results visualisation.
- Thorough validation and regulatory support.