CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > ANSYS > ANSYS Meshing & Geometry

[ANSYS Meshing] Infilation - Number of layers

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Far

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   September 4, 2017, 13:28
Default Infilation - Number of layers
  #1
Member
 
numan
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 8
mrswordf1sh is on a distinguished road
Hi guys,

For my CFD simulation, during meshing, I calculate first layer height of the inflation according to the desired y+.

I wanted to ask how we decide the number of layers? I see some studies use 5, some studies use 20 layers.

Thanks .
mrswordf1sh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 4, 2017, 18:15
Default
  #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 62
Rep Power: 8
Christophe is on a distinguished road
From what a CFD consultant with a PhD told me, "use as many inflation layers as you can afford".

Also you don't want a huge size difference between your last inflation layer and the next cell. So for a real small first layer height (SST on turbomachinery perhaps) you may need 40 layers or more to get the last layer to be a similar size to the rest of the elements.

You'll need less for higher y+ turbulence models. Or less if you have a finer mesh outside the inflation layer.





Sent from my iPhone using CFD Online Forum mobile app
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 5, 2017, 14:52
Default
  #3
Member
 
numan
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 8
mrswordf1sh is on a distinguished road
Thank you, I will consider that.
mrswordf1sh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 6, 2017, 03:19
Default
  #4
Far
Super Moderator
 
Sijal
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 4,543
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 51
Far has a spectacular aura aboutFar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswordf1sh View Post
Hi guys,

For my CFD simulation, during meshing, I calculate first layer height of the inflation according to the desired y+.

I wanted to ask how we decide the number of layers? I see some studies use 5, some studies use 20 layers.

Thanks .
If you using hybrid wall fucntions (Y+ can be 10 not necessarily 1, which currently fluent and cfx uses) 20 Layers are enough. USe expansion ratio 1.2

For Y+=1 when you want to fully resove viscous sub layer, use 40 layers. Use expansion ratio 1.1 to 1.15.

Any one who is uing 5 layers is just trying to show that he is resolving boundary layer. Just useless.

But if you are studying laminar to turbulne transition, I tend to use 100-120 Layers in boundary layer with expansion ratio of 1.05 or lower.
mrswordf1sh and aero_head like this.
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 13, 2017, 10:07
Default
  #5
Member
 
numan
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 8
mrswordf1sh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far View Post
If you using hybrid wall fucntions (Y+ can be 10 not necessarily 1, which currently fluent and cfx uses) 20 Layers are enough. USe expansion ratio 1.2

For Y+=1 when you want to fully resove viscous sub layer, use 40 layers. Use expansion ratio 1.1 to 1.15.

Any one who is uing 5 layers is just trying to show that he is resolving boundary layer. Just useless.

But if you are studying laminar to turbulne transition, I tend to use 100-120 Layers in boundary layer with expansion ratio of 1.05 or lower.
I am using k-e Realizable. I think it is best for me to use 20 inflation layers. I am using Enhanced-Wall Treatment and Menther-Lechner and my y+ is below 5. Do you think it is ok?
mrswordf1sh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 22, 2021, 05:10
Default
  #6
New Member
 
lucas s
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grenoble, France
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 9
LoUcAsss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far View Post
Any one who is uing 5 layers is just trying to show that he is resolving boundary layer. Just useless.

Even if I agree that 5 layers is not enough to solve a boundary layer, you cannot say that it is useless. When you cannot even afford more than 5 layers, you can still get interesting enough results.

However you have to be aware that your results are not very precise. Particularly, you can expect to have significant discrepancies in the computed skin friction.



But it is always a compromise between the precision you need and the precision you can afford.
LoUcAsss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 22, 2021, 08:13
Default
  #7
Far
Super Moderator
 
Sijal
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 4,543
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 51
Far has a spectacular aura aboutFar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoUcAsss View Post
Even if I agree that 5 layers is not enough to solve a boundary layer, you cannot say that it is useless. When you cannot even afford more than 5 layers, you can still get interesting enough results.

However you have to be aware that your results are not very precise. Particularly, you can expect to have significant discrepancies in the computed skin friction.



But it is always a compromise between the precision you need and the precision you can afford.
Well, I tend to agree with you.
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Decomposing meshes Tobi OpenFOAM Pre-Processing 19 January 22, 2021 05:13
[snappyHexMesh] No layers in a small gap bobburnquist OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 6 August 26, 2015 09:38
decomposePar -allRegions stru OpenFOAM Pre-Processing 2 August 25, 2015 03:58
SigFpe when running ANY application in parallel Pj. OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 3 April 23, 2015 14:53
foam-extend_3.1 decompose and pyfoam warning shipman OpenFOAM 3 July 24, 2014 08:14


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 00:12.