Home > Forums > Software User Forums > ANSYS > ANSYS Meshing & Geometry

[TurboGrid] Differing Layer Topology Causes Negative Volume Cells

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   May 14, 2020, 17:05
Default Differing Layer Topology Causes Negative Volume Cells

Tate
t8fanning is on a distinguished road
I'm trying to generate a mesh for a centrifugal compressor with a main and splitter blade. I've done it before with very similar geometry and no problems. However, this time, I'm having an issue where the topology for layers above a span of 62.5% cross each other and cause negative volume cells.

This only happens when I attempt to mesh the main and splitter blades. When I use only the main or only the splitter no topology problems present.

I have not been able to find a way to edit the topology control points with Turbogrid 17.2. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix the problematic layers?

Some pictures of the layer topologies follow.

Hub:

37.5% span:

75% span:

Shroud:
t8fanning is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 14, 2020, 17:43

Tate
t8fanning is on a distinguished road
After fiddling around with the order in which I generated the export points feature from designmodeler, I've found some interesting points.

Turbogrid created a consistent topology for each layer only when the export points feature got the blade info from the flow path and I manually entered the blade surfaces. However, once I changed anything else in Turbogrid, topology changed and was poor. When I tried to give export points blade info from the blade feature, it created poor topology.
t8fanning is offline   Reply With Quote