CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > ANSYS > CFX

Heat Transfer in porous media

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   July 17, 2014, 06:04
Default Heat Transfer in porous media
New Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
debabrata.mahapatra is on a distinguished road

I am trying to model a heat exchanger using porous media approach in CFX 15. In the porous domain setting, for the solid model, I would like to set the solid temperature as an expression that is temperature varying with space. When I try to do that, it gives me the following error
Parameter 'Solid Temperature' in object '/FLOW:Flow Analysis 1/DOMAIN:Core_Porous_Domain/SOLID MODELS/HEAT TRANSFER MODEL' is not allowed to be assigned an expression value that depends on variables. It must be assigned a numeric value, or an expression that resolves to a constant value.
Has anyone modeled heat transfer in porous media using CFX? It would be great if he/she can guide me doing this. Pls let me know in case you need any other info.

Thanks in anticipation.

debabrata.mahapatra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 17, 2014, 07:20
Super Moderator
Glenn Horrocks
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 17,480
Rep Power: 140
ghorrocks is just really niceghorrocks is just really niceghorrocks is just really niceghorrocks is just really nice
Please post your CEL.
ghorrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 17, 2014, 16:59
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,728
Rep Power: 30
Opaque will become famous soon enough
Heat transfer between the solid matrix, and the fluid within porous media is supported since ANSYS CFX Release 13.0.

You can review the Catalytic Converter tutorial (tutorial 12) for details.

To model the presence of the honeycomb structure that exists in the housing, you will model porosity and apply resistance to the flow. The honeycomb structure has a porosity of 70%, which means that 70% of the total volume is available for fluid flow, while the other 30% is occupied by the solid material that comprises the honeycomb structure. The solid component of the structure will be steel. The honeycomb structure is lined up with the flow to prevent flow travel in the transverse direction. To model resistance to the flow, you will apply a streamwise quadratic resistance coefficient of 650 kg m^-4. To reduce the amount of transverse flow, apply a quadratic resistance coefficient of 6500 kg m^-4 in the transverse direction. These given resistance coefficients are based on the superficial flow velocity, rather than the true flow velocity.
The error message you are getting is because the Isothermal model assumes the temperature is not only constant in time, but uniform in space; therefore, it cannot be a field variable.

If you explain in more detail what you are trying to model in addition of how you are trying to achieve it, other members in the forum may be able to help you.
Opaque is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Porous media setup issues in Fluent Bernard Van FLUENT 29 January 26, 2017 04:09
heat transfer to porous media... club68512 FLOW-3D 5 November 3, 2010 23:20
Heat Transfer in Porous Medium eryan STAR-CD 0 September 28, 2010 13:14
How can I increase Heat Transfer at Domain Interf? B.Simon CFX 3 October 28, 2008 18:53
Heat transfer from porous medium to fluid Ralf Schmidt FLUENT 1 October 30, 2005 06:21

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36.