Home > Forums > CFX

Modeling multiple regimes/regions in boiling of a fluid

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   February 1, 2017, 01:30
Default Modeling multiple regimes/regions in boiling of a fluid

Adil Syyed
adilsyyed is on a distinguished road
I want to model boiling of water in a tube. The tube has a shell around it with circulating pressurized hot water.
Water enters with a fixed mass flow rate with subcooled temperature into the tube and gets heated to the point of saturation temperature. Boiling starts and the entire fluid is converted into steam, This steam is heated to superheated temperature before leaving the tube at the other end.

This problem has subcooled, saturation and superheated regions. Can CFX model such a problem?
adilsyyed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 1, 2017, 06:52
Super Moderator

Glenn Horrocks
ghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the rough
Yes, CFX can model this. Have a look at the tutorials on the ANSYS customer website for some examples.
ghorrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 19, 2017, 23:18

alpha754293 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorrocks View Post
Yes, CFX can model this. Have a look at the tutorials on the ANSYS customer website for some examples.
I tried looking for the tutorial that does this or the example of it, and I couldn't find it.

Can you help, please?

Namely, the problem that I am trying to model is a little bit different in that I don't have any flow (i.e. water isn't coming in and then leaving).

It is literally, me trying to simulate a small pot of water, boiling.

I don't know what the saturation points are, so I am not sure how I should be setting up the multiphase material specification.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
alpha754293 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 20, 2017, 18:43
Super Moderator

Glenn Horrocks
ghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the rough
If you cannot find examples suitable for you then contact ANSYS support as they have zillions more examples available.

Old   March 20, 2017, 21:47

alpha754293 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorrocks View Post
If you cannot find examples suitable for you then contact ANSYS support as they have zillions more examples available.
Sorry, I found out how to do it after the fact. Found online that there's a CCL boiling water template that you can use.

Don't quite fully understand everything/all of its elements, but I'll continue digging/doing more research to gain some knowledge about it.

The basic answer is that in the fluid domain model, you can add multiple materials, which is the short answer to the question.

The long answer is, as they say, lies in the details (which I currently don't know/understand enough) to address.

But thank you for your help.
alpha754293 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 21, 2017, 05:01
Super Moderator

Glenn Horrocks
Yes, there is a CCL template for it. But using it appropriately is not straight forward, and knowing when it is an is not applicable is the key. Hence the recommendation to get examples from ANSYS support.