[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > ANSYS > CFX

Need insight into unexpected CFD results

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   July 24, 2018, 03:43
Default Need insight into unexpected CFD results

Stroopwafelandcoffee is on a distinguished road
I'm currently doing a simulation of water flow in a microscopic channel due to a pressure differential. It's meant to simulate a physical lab setup which in turn simulates some biomedical aspect of the human body. The channel is 4mm long, 0.4mm wide and semi-circular like this:

The flow velocities are very low, in the order of 0.0xx m/s. According to my calculations for pipe flow this resulted in very low Reynolds numbers. Because of this I assumed laminar flow. I didn't assume fully developed flow so instead tThere's a velocity inlet, pressure outlet and no-slip stationary walls. I used an initial layer size for the BL of 1e-05mm, resulting in an initial layer size which is between 5e-03 and 1e-04 of the total BL thickness (growth rate 1.1). I had a hard time estimating what my BL should look like for laminar flows, so I'm wondering if this is appropriate. I can upload my mesh and cfx-pre setup if necessary.

I'm getting forces which seem to be of the right order:

Force X: 4.6384e-006 [N]
Force Y: -1.58845e-008 [N]
Force Z: -8.47918e-009 [N]

The wall shear in the X direction also shows expected results:

However, the wall shear in the Y- and Z- direction aren't quite what I expected:

There are some very local but very high spikes visible in the Y- and Z- shear stress, which I can not explain. So I'm wondering what I'm looking at and I'm hoping someone could help me get to the bottom of this. The shear stress vector plot also shows some strange results:

Stroopwafelandcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 24, 2018, 07:00
Super Moderator

Glenn Horrocks
ghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the rough
I do a lot of MEMS simulations and am quite familiar with the issues involved. You are correct that your flow is going to be a very low Reynolds number. The implication of this is that there is no boundary layer. The flow will very quickly evolve into a parabolic laminar profile. There is no rapid velocity gradient at the boundary.

The implication of this is that mesh inflation layers and near-wall refinement are totally unnecessary. The gradients are evenly distributed around the flow field, which means the mesh size should be relatively even across the entire flow field.

A second implication of this is that you can be extremely sensitive to round off errors, and these can cause strange spikes and peaks in the results. Make sure you are using double precision numerics. The large change in mesh size from the boundary to the centre is also contributing to the round off error, so moving to a even mesh size will reduce these effects as well.

Old   July 24, 2018, 12:08

That makes a lot of sense actually. What kind of element size would you recommend for the evenly distributed case? I'll do a refinement study on it anyway, but maybe you know a ballpark in which to start?

Old   July 24, 2018, 18:42
Super Moderator

Glenn Horrocks
ghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the rough
As micro fluidic flows are usually very laminar, have little in the way of separations and rarely have strong gradients you can often get away with much coarser grids that you can use for high Reynolds number flows. So I would start with something like 10 elements across the section, and the mesh set up to use that mesh size for the whole domain. That is just a starting point, do a mesh size sensitivity study to find your actual requirement.

As you only have a single mesh size parameter it will also be quite simple to do mesh sensitivity studies.

Old   July 25, 2018, 18:08

Well, it worked. Thanks! I learned a lot from this, glad I picked up the little project

Tags
laminar, microscopic, shear stress