CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   CFX (https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/cfx/)
-   -   ANSYS CFX volume fraction definition for multiphase simulation (https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/cfx/91069-ansys-cfx-volume-fraction-definition-multiphase-simulation.html)

juliom July 29, 2011 09:25

ANSYS CFX volume fraction definition for multiphase simulation

Dear Collegues,
I have been working on my thesis of master degree, It is related to multiphase fluid flow simulation, especifically in: gas-liquid vertical gravitational separator.
Im working in ANSYS CFX and the most difficult part is to setup the volume fraction at the inlet.
The main goal of the thesis is to evaluate the separation process within the vessel, but the data used is from the real process, for example:
Oil rate, gas rate, pressure, densities, viscocity and so on..
THE VOLUMEN FRACTION DOES NOT APPEAR IN NO DATA SHEET.
How can I get this volume fraction?
please help me

Zahid Ibrahim November 6, 2013 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliom (Post 318041)
Dear Collegues,
I have been working on my thesis of master degree, It is related to multiphase fluid flow simulation, especifically in: gas-liquid vertical gravitational separator.
Im working in ANSYS CFX and the most difficult part is to setup the volume fraction at the inlet.
The main goal of the thesis is to evaluate the separation process within the vessel, but the data used is from the real process, for example:
Oil rate, gas rate, pressure, densities, viscocity and so on..
THE VOLUMEN FRACTION DOES NOT APPEAR IN NO DATA SHEET.
How can I get this volume fraction?
please help me

Hi I'm new in use (cfx-14) I want the different volume fraction. Actually my problem is water and air flow through straight pipe. Can somebody tell how I can get the lower half of pipe fill in water and the upper half fill in air.

Help urgently required

Thanks

Antanas November 6, 2013 06:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zahid Ibrahim (Post 460770)
Hi I'm new in use (cfx-14) I want the different volume fraction. Actually my problem is water and air flow through straight pipe. Can somebody tell how I can get the lower half of pipe fill in water and the upper half fill in air.

Help urgently required

Thanks

You should refer to CFX tutorial 9. Look at expressions for UpVFAir, UpVFWater and DownVFAir, DownVFWater

Zahid Ibrahim November 7, 2013 14:19

Hi, Sorry but I read Tutorial 9: Flow Through a Butterfly Valve and I don't found any expressions for UpVFAir, UpVFWater and DownVFAir, DownVFWater.

Help urgently required

Thanks

juliom November 7, 2013 15:23

You have two options. You can either define the volumen fraction through an user define function (UDF) or during your meshing process and your modelling at Design modeler or whichever you use, you can have the inlet Split by two parts. In each part you will have a boundary condition and there you will be able to define the volumen fraction at each one!!

Mara26 January 9, 2018 05:43

Volume fraction- multiphase flow

Hello,
i'm new to multiphase flow and ANSYS CFX.
I am trying to simulate a multiphase flow in CFX turbomachinery with water and air. I have chosen air as a dispersed fluid and water as a continous one. The inlet boundary condition is the bulk mass flow rate and the volume fraction of water is 0.99 and air 0.01. The Outlet boundary condition is a static pressure condition.
I'm trying to calculate the head of the turbine by using the expression:
Head=
(massFlowAve(Total Pressure in Stn Frame )@Outlet-massFlowAve(Total Pressure in Stn Frame )@Inlet)/(ave(Water. Density)@Outlet*ave(Water. Volume Fraction )@Outlet+(ave(Air. Density)@Outlet*ave(Air.Volume Fraction)@Outlet)*g)

But i'll get an error and no head value. Can anyone help me?
I would be very thankful

ghorrocks January 10, 2018 17:08

Set all the sub-functions in your expression to a variable which you output to a monitor point. Then you might find which sub-function is not working. In other words:

MFA_In = massFlowAve(Total Pressure in Stn Frame )@Inlet
MFA_Out = massFlowAve(Total Pressure in Stn Frame )@Outlet

etc

Another point: You are using the ave() function to evaluate your properties. This just does a simple nodal average which is probably not what what you want. areaAve() is probably a better function.

Mara26 January 15, 2018 03:02

Thank you for your reply!
I set up all variables to a monitor point and it seemed that all of the variable worked.
In CFX Post there ist the error for my Head Calculation:
"ERROR The following unrecognised names were referenced: Air. Volume Fraction (on 'Outlet'), Water. Volume Fraction (on 'Outlet')."

But in the Outputfile there are the variables Air. Volume Fraction and Water. Volume Fraction.
I really don't understand, why CFX Post couldn't calculate the Head value (H).