CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > CONVERGE

Biodiesel case setup in Converge

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   May 24, 2019, 10:07
Default Biodiesel case setup in Converge
  #1
New Member
 
Vaibhav Kshirsagar
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 3
Vaibhavk is on a distinguished road
Hello!
I desire to set up a case for biodiesel simulation in Converge CFD. I have the compositions (FAME) of which biodiesel is to be prepared along with their wt%. Compounds are Oleic acid C18H34O2, Linoleic Acid C18H32O2, Palmitic Acid C16H32O2, Behenic acid C18h34o2.
I have already checked mech.dat and therm.dat files provided by famous labs like LLNL, Wisconsin Madison, Argonne Lab but failed to find the desired compounds in reaction mechanism and therm files.
I would be grateful for any guidance and help.

Last edited by Vaibhavk; May 24, 2019 at 17:26.
Vaibhavk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 16, 2019, 14:31
Default
  #2
New Member
 
azandian's Avatar
 
Arash Zandian
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Convergent Science, Madison WI
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 3
azandian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaibhavk View Post
Hello!
I desire to set up a case for biodiesel simulation in Converge CFD. I have the compositions (FAME) of which biodiesel is to be prepared along with their wt%. Compounds are Oleic acid C18H34O2, Linoleic Acid C18H32O2, Palmitic Acid C16H32O2, Behenic acid C18h34o2.
I have already checked mech.dat and therm.dat files provided by famous labs like LLNL, Wisconsin Madison, Argonne Lab but failed to find the desired compounds in reaction mechanism and therm files.
I would be grateful for any guidance and help.
Hi Vaibhav;

Here are a couple of reduced models for biodiesel that I would refer you to:

- Development of a skeletal mechanism for biodiesel blend surrogates with varying fatty acid methyl esters proportion
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...06261915013173

- Development of a Reduced n-Decane/α-Methylnaphthalene/Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Mechanism and Its Application for Combustion and Soot Prediction
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021...yfuels.6b02186

The first one is using methyl linoleate (C19) as one of the surrogates which probably fits your need. The second one is using α-methylnaphthalene which is C11.
__________________
Arash Zandian,
Sr. Research engineer, Applications

(608) 230-1580
convergecfd.com
azandian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 17, 2020, 12:39
Default biodiesel mechanism of Gail et., al, with 1516 reaction
  #3
New Member
 
Alirezak
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 24
Rep Power: 6
Alireza_Kakoee is on a distinguished road
dear Arash
I am working on developing naturalgas/diesel mechanism to use in IC engines, in some researches a 1516 reaction mechanism was used that developed by Gail et, al,.
could you please provide biodiesel mechanism if you have, it should be noted that I have LLnL mechanism

bests
Alireza_Kakoee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 18, 2020, 10:46
Default
  #4
New Member
 
azandian's Avatar
 
Arash Zandian
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Convergent Science, Madison WI
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 3
azandian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alireza_Kakoee View Post
dear Arash
I am working on developing naturalgas/diesel mechanism to use in IC engines, in some researches a 1516 reaction mechanism was used that developed by Gail et, al,.
could you please provide biodiesel mechanism if you have, it should be noted that I have LLnL mechanism

bests
Hi Alireza,

Here are a few biodiesel mechanisms that you might find useful. I am sharing the literature below:

1) Development of a reduced biodiesel surrogate model for compression ignition engine modeling
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...40748912000910
This one has 145 species with 869 reactions.

2) Detailed chemical kinetic mechanism for the oxidation of biodiesel fuels blend surrogate
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...10218009003058
This one is a big mechanism with 3299 species, and 10806 reactions.

3) Development of a skeletal oxidation mechanism for biodiesel surrogate
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...26X?via%3Dihub
This one has 61 species with 172 reactions.
__________________
Arash Zandian,
Sr. Research engineer, Applications

(608) 230-1580
convergecfd.com
azandian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 4, 2021, 19:39
Default
  #5
New Member
 
ardhika
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
zidane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by azandian View Post
Hi Vaibhav;

Here are a couple of reduced models for biodiesel that I would refer you to:

- Development of a skeletal mechanism for biodiesel blend surrogates with varying fatty acid methyl esters proportion
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...06261915013173

- Development of a Reduced n-Decane/α-Methylnaphthalene/Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Mechanism and Its Application for Combustion and Soot Prediction
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021...yfuels.6b02186

The first one is using methyl linoleate (C19) as one of the surrogates which probably fits your need. The second one is using α-methylnaphthalene which is C11.
Dear Mr. Arash.
I have a similar problem with Mr. Vaibhavk. I want to construct the biodiesel fuel in the converge simulation program. Since I am a beginner at using this program, I find it difficult to make a new fuel database on my own. I have asked a request on Converge employe to assist me to construct bio-diesel fuel data base. after asking the detail about the fuel, I have got no more response from them. the structure of biodiesel I use is very similar to Mr. Vaibhavk's.
zidane is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The CFX Setup case file no longer exists. Continuing in an initial state. ced30 CFX 1 November 13, 2015 12:00
Uncommon stirrer case simulation setup fatal_error CFX 2 July 19, 2015 06:46
Launder Shrma Low Reynolds turbulence model case setup sivakumar OpenFOAM Pre-Processing 3 September 14, 2013 08:20
OpenFOAM case setup and work flow - what are you using? Arnoldinho OpenFOAM Pre-Processing 4 July 18, 2010 09:16
Parallel case setup boundry conditions snappyhexmesh oskar OpenFOAM Pre-Processing 5 September 11, 2009 01:12


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 16:28.