Solidification model of binary alloy in Ansys 14.5

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   December 30, 2013, 13:46
Question Solidification model of binary alloy in Ansys 14.5

Bartek
BK90 is on a distinguished road
Dear Users,

I have to do little project on my studies, which is solidification model (2d with macrosegregation) of binary alloy (Pb 48-Sn) in Ansys 14.5 but i am new with ansys and i am bit stuck with it.

I read user`s and theory guide in ansys help about solidification modeling. All data are from articles (Prescott, Ahmad).
I enabled models: species transport, solidification/melting with thermal/solutal bouyancy and Lever rule. Mushy zone parameter was calculated with formula: A=(180*u)/k^2, where u=dynamic viscosity and k=secondary dendrite arm spacing.
In material properties i added pb,sn and mixture template properties:
for pb-molecular weight,slope of liquidus,partition coefficient(0.48), eutectic mass fraction (0.619), solutal expansion coefficient and 0for diffusion in solid.
for sn-molecular weight, 0 for slope of liquidius solutal expansion coefficient and diffusion in solid,partition coefficient, 1 for eutectioc mass fraction(default).
For mixture: density(9000 and default method is boussinesq),specific heat, thermal conductivity,viscosity, mass diffusivity,thermal expansion coefficient,puere solvent melting heat, solidus and liquidus temperature(mixing law),pure solvent melting temperature, eutectic temperature.
In operating conditions i enabled gravity and operating temperature (600,65K- melting temperature).
In cell conditions for surface-body is enabled porous zone for mixture and i didn`t change any of its parameters. It was default.

Boundary conditions:
Left wall is for cooling alloy and other 3 walls are adiabatic. For left wall i enabled convection and added heat trandfer coefficient and free stream temperature.
I chose SIMPLE scheme for computations and created volume monitor to check change of liquid fraction during computations.
I started calculations but they are wrong, because monitor shows that liquid fraction equals 0 during calculations.
I enclose a few screenshots.
I have no idea what to do to make this model work.

Thank you for all help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (97.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (73.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (49.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (77.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (63.9 KB, 50 views)
BK90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 22, 2014, 06:02

Sakthivel
s8kthi is on a distinguished road
Fluent expects all the material properties of the solute, It is not mandatory to fill the solvent properties.
In your case 'Sn' is the solute 'Pb' is the solvent isnt it.

Have you Patched the Initial temperature and Solute concentration fraction into the interior nodes. using Solution initialization tab.

Keep the operating temperature as T_liquidus.
s8kthi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 20, 2016, 06:45
Default Stuck with same problem

Bob Marley
bobmarley@ is on a distinguished road
Dear user BK90

I am solving a similar problem, and not getting expected results.

Please let me know if you were able to short out the problem. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
bobmarley@ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
binary alloy, solidification