CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > ANSYS > FLUENT

Initial velocity condition on a system coupling useless!!!

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   January 8, 2015, 06:00
Default Initial velocity condition on a system coupling useless!!!
  #1
Member
 
acasas's Avatar
 
Antonio Casas
Join Date: May 2013
Location: world
Posts: 85
Rep Power: 10
acasas is on a distinguished road
Hi there,

I try to apply initial velocity condition over a body on a system coupling between Fluent fluid flow and transient structural. Itīs a body drop from 2 or 3 meters high over water in order to calculate tensions and deformations. I don't want to simulate the whole fall time period, but only the period of time where the impact against water occur. So, what I'm trying to do without success, is to allocate the body just some millimeters above the water, and give it initial vertical velocity condition equivalent as if it was dropped from 2 or 3 meters height.

Can anyone tell me why the initial velocity condition does not take effect in my simulation? Am I doing something wrong? Is it ansys coupling system initial velocity condition USELESS??

thankīs
acasas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 8, 2015, 06:46
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,736
Rep Power: 60
FMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by acasas View Post
Hi there,

I try to apply initial velocity condition over a body on a system coupling between Fluent fluid flow and transient structural. Itīs a body drop from 2 or 3 meters high over water in order to calculate tensions and deformations. I don't want to simulate the whole fall time period, but only the period of time where the impact against water occur. So, what I'm trying to do without success, is to allocate the body just some millimeters above the water, and give it initial vertical velocity condition equivalent as if it was dropped from 2 or 3 meters height.

Can anyone tell me why the initial velocity condition does not take effect in my simulation? Am I doing something wrong? Is it ansys coupling system initial velocity condition USELESS??

thankīs

Hello,
the problem is not very clear to me...you have a rigid body with a mass, right? Is it just subject only to the gravity before the impact, so you can prescribe a simple dropping velocity law
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 8, 2015, 06:56
Default
  #3
Member
 
acasas's Avatar
 
Antonio Casas
Join Date: May 2013
Location: world
Posts: 85
Rep Power: 10
acasas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDenaro View Post
Hello,
the problem is not very clear to me...you have a rigid body with a mass, right? Is it just subject only to the gravity before the impact, so you can prescribe a simple dropping velocity law
Thanks for your attention Filippo.
Itīs a body, a simple shell box made of steel, with the capability to deform under pressure.... so I guess its not rigid.... that is the reason why Iīm using a coupling system, otherwise I would use 1 way FSi and UDF 6DOF in fluent. Yes, its subject only to the gravity before impact. The APROX. velocity before impact if dropped from 2m height, should be SQRT (2*9.81*2)=6.26 m/s . I will investigate how and where to prescribe a simple dropping velocity law, but maybe you could give me some clue?

I attach a picture of the system

Thankīs a lot

Last edited by acasas; January 8, 2015 at 07:21. Reason: wanted to add a picture for better understanding of my system
acasas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 8, 2015, 07:02
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,736
Rep Power: 60
FMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by acasas View Post
Itīs a body with the capability to deform under pressure.... so I guess its not rigid.... that is the reason why Iīm using a coupling system, otherwise I would use 1 way FSi and UDF 6DOF in fluent. Yes, its subject only to the gravity before impact. I will investigate how and where to prescribe a simple dropping velocity law, but maybe you could give me some clue?

Thankīs a lot
I don't think is relevant considering deformation during drop in air, but just after the impact. So, disregarding the drag of air, you can simply consider, for example, the limit velocity of a body dropping due to gravity
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 8, 2015, 07:26
Default
  #5
Member
 
acasas's Avatar
 
Antonio Casas
Join Date: May 2013
Location: world
Posts: 85
Rep Power: 10
acasas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDenaro View Post
I don't think is relevant considering deformation during drop in air, but just after the impact. So, disregarding the drag of air, you can simply consider, for example, the limit velocity of a body dropping due to gravity
, Yes, I don't care about the drag effect or deformation over the body due to the air effect. I am trying to do that, but I don't want to apply a CONSTANT velocity but initial velocity. I want to get the effect of deceleration due to the impact with water.

sorry if I do not understand you properly. anyway thanks for your help

Please check the pics I have added to my thread for better understanding
acasas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 8, 2015, 09:13
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,736
Rep Power: 60
FMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura aboutFMDenaro has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by acasas View Post
, Yes, I don't care about the drag effect or deformation over the body due to the air effect. I am trying to do that, but I don't want to apply a CONSTANT velocity but initial velocity. I want to get the effect of deceleration due to the impact with water.

sorry if I do not understand you properly. anyway thanks for your help

Please check the pics I have added to my thread for better understanding

that sounds strange ...if the body at t0=0 has at some position z0 an initial velocity w0=0, then it is sufficient to consider the Newton law along the z axis m*dw/dt = m*g and integrate.
You also know from conservation of total energy that potential and kinetic energy lead to a limit velocity
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 8, 2015, 10:14
Default
  #7
Member
 
acasas's Avatar
 
Antonio Casas
Join Date: May 2013
Location: world
Posts: 85
Rep Power: 10
acasas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDenaro View Post
that sounds strange ...if the body at t0=0 has at some position z0 an initial velocity w0=0, then it is sufficient to consider the Newton law along the z axis m*dw/dt = m*g and integrate.
You also know from conservation of total energy that potential and kinetic energy lead to a limit velocity

Hi Filippo, thanks for your prompt answer. Maybe I donīt make myself clear . I am doing as you say, I am applying initial down vertical velocity condition to the body of 6m/sec almost touching the water surface, but it does not take effect at all. Is it like giving a initial velocity condition in Ansys transient structural / fluent fluid flow system coupling was totally useless. Even more, I do believe that the velocity initial condition tool at transient structural, when linked to fluent to perform a coupled system, its a FAKE useless tool. I really really would like to be wrong, so please if somebody could check it out or tell me what is wrong.

thanks

Last edited by acasas; January 8, 2015 at 10:32. Reason: typo
acasas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 8, 2015, 16:50
Default
  #8
Retired Super Moderator
 
Bruno Santos
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 10,963
Blog Entries: 45
Rep Power: 123
wyldckat is a name known to allwyldckat is a name known to allwyldckat is a name known to allwyldckat is a name known to allwyldckat is a name known to allwyldckat is a name known to all
Greetings to all!

@Antonio: I came see this thread because you sent me a private message requesting that I came have a look into this.

Well, a first I was going to just write that I don't have experience with Fluent/ANSYS, and that my level of expertise are only mostly related to OpenFOAM...

But then I took a look at the images in post #3 and saw something weird... in the image I've attached, where I placed a red blob, isn't that a checkable box?

Best regards,
Bruno

edit: I've moved this thread to the Fluent forum, since many of the Fluent users possibly won't see this in the Main forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg possible check box.jpg (10.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by wyldckat; January 8, 2015 at 16:52. Reason: see
wyldckat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 8, 2015, 17:21
Default
  #9
Member
 
acasas's Avatar
 
Antonio Casas
Join Date: May 2013
Location: world
Posts: 85
Rep Power: 10
acasas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldckat View Post

But then I took a look at the images in post #3 and saw something weird... in the image I've attached, where I placed a red blob, isn't that a checkable box?
Thankīs Bruno for taking your time to answer me.
Unfortunately, the checkable box is just for parametric purpose ( to make several analysis on the same basis but with different values for this checkable box).
Anyway, thanks, I hope your decision to move my thread to the Fluent forum will increase the CFD forum attention over it.
acasas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 12, 2015, 12:53
Default
  #10
Member
 
acasas's Avatar
 
Antonio Casas
Join Date: May 2013
Location: world
Posts: 85
Rep Power: 10
acasas is on a distinguished road
come on guys, someone must know.
Please, help
acasas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 11, 2015, 13:41
Default
  #11
Senior Member
 
immortality's Avatar
 
Ehsan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Iran
Posts: 2,208
Rep Power: 23
immortality is on a distinguished road
Hi Antonio,
sorry for delay in answer, I didn't have access to the PC earlier, I hope you have solved the problem.
I work with OpenFoam mostly but how are you modelling your initial condition?
are the solid and the surface of the liquid touching each other at the beginning of the simulation?
I'm eager to such problems, if it has been solved say what you have done.
__________________
Injustice Anywhere is a Threat for Justice Everywhere.Martin Luther King.
To Be or Not To Be,Thats the Question!
The Only Stupid Question Is the One that Goes Unasked.
immortality is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 1, 2015, 16:31
Default
  #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 531
Rep Power: 18
stumpy is on a distinguished road
A just tested this in R16.0 with a simple falling block. Transient Structural with an initial velocity of (0,-1,0) m/s, coupled to Fluent via System Coupling. Forces and Displacements transferred.
It worked fine. The initial velocity of the block was maintained and displacements were passed to Fluent OK. I can share the project if you give me somewhere to send it.
stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a problem with convergence in buoyantSimpleFoam skuznet OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 6 November 15, 2017 12:12
SixDoFRigidBodyMotion under OF2.3 ( self oscillating cylinder) Scabbard OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 1 July 22, 2014 04:50
Courant-number explodes after a lon while (icoFoam) Rody- OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 6 January 29, 2014 04:27
SLTS+rhoPisoFoam: what is rDeltaT??? nileshjrane OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 4 February 25, 2013 04:13
Computational time sunnysun OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 5 March 16, 2009 03:32


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16.