CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   FLUENT (https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/)
-   -   Tecplot can't read data file from Fluent. (https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/28986-tecplot-cant-read-data-file-fluent.html)

stephen October 11, 2001 13:32

Tecplot can't read data file from Fluent.

Hi,everyone.I meet a problem when I use Tecplot to load a data file. My question is: why Tecplot can't read a data file exported automatically from Fluent5.5 with tecplot file type? My tecplot version is 9.0-0-9(03-26-2001). I hope to get your help. Thanks.

Here is the head of a data file exported from Fluent:

TITLE = "title" VARIABLES = X, Y, "Static Pressure", "Pressure Coefficient", "X Velocity", "Y Velocity", "Mach Number", "Static Temperature", "Turbulent Kinetic Energy (k)", "Turbulent Dissipation Rate (Epsilon)", "Turbulent Viscosity Ratio" ZONE T="default-interior", N=40497, E=79500, ET=LINE, F=FEBLOCK

When I used Tecplot to load it, an error occurred. Here is the error message:

Err: Invalid Element type,Need TRIANGLE,QUADRILATERAL,TETRAHEDRON,or BRICK Error occurred on line number 3

Giovanni October 12, 2001 03:09

Re: Tecplot can't read data file from Fluent.

I don't remeber the version, but some months ago I met with a similar problem. You need an updating.

Giovanni

stephen October 12, 2001 12:18

Thank you very much,Giovanni. I'll get an updating version.

Sonny October 26, 2001 16:54

I have had similar problems as you described above when I have exported a fluent solution from the parallel solver to Fieldview. I solved this problem by exporting from a single-CPU solver.

reza pegah October 28, 2001 17:06

Kevin November 1, 2001 11:05

Which to update? Tecplot or Fluent?

Well, I use TECPLOT 9.0 and FLUENT 5.4.8, both are the most current versions. But still I have the same problem. So, updating doesn't seem to work for me.

Help, please! Kevin

Kevin November 1, 2001 11:15

I got it now! It is not the version. It is a mistake. I should not have selected any "Surfaces", only just have to select variables I want.

Alright, thanks,

Kevin

stephen November 1, 2001 13:59

I also found it isn't the problem of version. you got the point. thank you.

don November 21, 2001 21:27

The problem is due to an error in the Fluent exporter for Tecplot files. It includes an element type, ET=LINE, but Tecplot does not support the line element type. Therefore, Tecplot issues the error message you reported. Have you tried using the Fluent data loader that is provided with Tecplot? It reads the native Fluent Case and Data files directly. Also, there are patches for more recent releases of Tecplot 9.0 on the Amtec web site.