CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   FLUENT (
-   -   moving zones (

abigaille Gilibert July 29, 2002 08:27

moving zones

im working with a mixer and I have a simple question. Could anyone tell me the main differents about single frame and sliding mesh... why should I use one instead of the other??

Hope someone can tell me?

Laika July 30, 2002 04:58

Re: moving zones
very brief: moving reference frames give you time-averaged results.

If you are interested in transient behaviour (e.g. interaction between the impeller and the baffles of your mixer) you can only obtain your results with a sliding-mesh-model. Also if the flow is inherently transient, you should use moving mesh.

I suppose you're not very much interested in transient behaviour, so you'll use mostly the moving reference frame model.

For a mixer: you should not use the mixing plane model, because this one will also give you an average result over the interface. If you're tracking species (because they should be mixed for example), the concentration at the interface will be averaged along the interface. You will have a very efficient mixing along this interface, but it's only numerical :)

Laika, still orbiting

abigaille Gilibert July 30, 2002 05:08

Re: moving zones

thank you laika!!

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 19:37.