which laptop is more preferable

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   August 28, 2017, 17:33
Default which laptop is more preferable

Rusham
rusham is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I'm engineering student (mechanical engineering). Which laptop (portable ) you can suggest buying for using ANSYS, Solidworks, matlab etc. Basically , I am not going to run heavy simulations in a laptop but sometimes general simulations are required to run. I have two options, which of them is more appropriate:
1. Asus zenbook ux430uq
Corei5-7200u
16Gb RAM
512 SSD
Nvidia geforce 940MX
14 ichn

2. LENOVO IdeaPad Yoga 510
Corei7-7500u
8 Gb RAM
1000Gb HDD
AMD Radeon R5 M430
14 ichn

Thanks for advices
rusham is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 1, 2017, 08:39

B_Kia
HyperNova is on a distinguished road
Hi,
Laptops with 8th generation U Series (i7 8350U) are on the way. they have double cores (4 cores and 8 Threads) than 7th generation (2 cores) but the same power consumption. worth waiting for, in my opinion.
Good luck
HyperNova is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 2, 2017, 15:30

Robert
autoCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusham View Post
Hi,

I'm engineering student (mechanical engineering). Which laptop (portable ) you can suggest buying for using ANSYS, Solidworks, matlab etc. Basically , I am not going to run heavy simulations in a laptop but sometimes general simulations are required to run. I have two options, which of them is more appropriate:
1. Asus zenbook ux430uq
Corei5-7200u
16Gb RAM
512 SSD
Nvidia geforce 940MX
14 ichn

2. LENOVO IdeaPad Yoga 510
Corei7-7500u
8 Gb RAM
1000Gb HDD
AMD Radeon R5 M430
14 ichn

Thanks for advices
It seems to me you are not generally aware of that kind of hardware you need for CAD design. Solidworks is not like Autocad. Autocad even in 3D can run on pretty much any computer with a dedicated graphics card and some simulations or models can run on without even using one.

For Solidworks in engineering design, the more parts you add to your simulations the heavier the calculations are for your CPU and displaying them in 3D is far too intensive. So you really need to research about graphics cards. You mentioned you will need to run heavy simulations, are you sure? Most engineering undergrads do not even in mechanical engineering, if you are then you may need to consider better graphics cards than AMD Radeon cards, stick with NVIDIA 940MX might be OK for solidworks but if you are really going to run models with severa thousands of components you need to research a little more . You might find this article helpful if you try to look for engineering laptops

I'd also recommend to wait a little bit but since school has already started then you probably are in need of one, if i had to choose between the two you have posted I'd stick with the 940MX but there are better cards the 960GTX series is great and many professionals engineers use it. This model: ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch used to be really cheap below a 1000 if you can find it online i'd recommend it but i think they ran out of stock since it was so cheap and powerful. I missed it myself.

However if you are really serioues about it consider the firepro/quadro as mentioned in the article.
autoCAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 24, 2017, 03:51

Rodney
rodnerr is on a distinguished road
If you cant wait for the 8th gen U Series, option 2 gets my vote.
rodnerr is offline   Reply With Quote