CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > General Forums > Main CFD Forum

Best open source SPH code to use?

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By beer
  • 1 Post By specializedSPH

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   September 6, 2018, 04:00
Question Best open source SPH code to use?
  #1
New Member
 
anonymous001
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 6
bladomas is on a distinguished road
I will be modelling tube flow with the use of SPH (smoothed-particle hydrodynamics). My question was, which open source SPH code would be the best to use? Or which ones have clear advantages (some disadvantages as well) over others? I have found a website which lists several of them but I'm not sure if I can post a link here (for now).
bladomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 10, 2018, 14:20
Default
  #2
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 92
Rep Power: 11
beer is on a distinguished road
The most known and used one if probably DualSPHysics from

http://dual.sphysics.org/


I personally think that the best one right one is probably SPHlisHSPlasH
https://github.com/InteractiveComput...s/SPlisHSPlasH
They implemented almost every model I know for SPH.
elvis likes this.
beer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 11, 2018, 03:29
Default
  #3
New Member
 
anonymous001
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 6
bladomas is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your reply, I will check out SPHlisHSPlasH. After looking into some free codes, I found GPUSPH to be decent. How comparable is it to SPHlisHSPlasH?
bladomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 11, 2018, 08:12
Default
  #4
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 92
Rep Power: 11
beer is on a distinguished road
I think I tried the GPU-Version of GPUSPH at some point. My concern was that it had only constant material properties for water and WCSPH as a solver.

I am not 100% sure though.
beer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 11, 2018, 08:19
Default
  #5
New Member
 
anonymous001
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 6
bladomas is on a distinguished road
My end goal is model blood flow in arteries with moving walls. I will be starting out quite simple, normal tube flow with water. So I'm not sure whether having only constant material properties is an issue for me. I think I'm more interested in the ease of use and how easy it is to learn using the code.
bladomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 22, 2018, 07:22
Smile Sph
  #6
New Member
 
Dr. sadra
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 6
specializedSPH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladomas View Post
I will be modelling tube flow with the use of SPH (smoothed-particle hydrodynamics). My question was, which open source SPH code would be the best to use? Or which ones have clear advantages (some disadvantages as well) over others? I have found a website which lists several of them but I'm not sure if I can post a link here (for now).
I can send you my developed ISPH code that I wrote about 8 papers with it:
1. Incompressible SPH simulation of landslide impulse-generated water waves. Natural Hazards, 82(3), 1779-1802.
2. Modified variable mass incompressible SPH method for simulating internal fluid flows. Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, 38(7), 2009-2027.
3. Eulerian ISPH Method for Simulating Internal Flows. Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics, 9(3).
4. On the numerical simulation of the nonbreaking solitary waves run up on sloping beaches. Computers & Mathematics with Applications, 70(9), 2270-2281.
5. Comparative study on the accuracy of solitary wave generations in an ISPH-based numerical wave flume. Applied Ocean Research, 54, 115-136.
6. Simulating Solitary Wave Generation Using Incompressible SPH. Ann Limnol Oceanogr 1(1): 013-021.
7. On the Generation, Propagation and Runup of Solitary Water Waves on Steep Beaches, in 6th International Offshore Industries Conference (Tehran, Sharif University of Technology: 2015).
8. ISPH Numerical Simulation of Tsunami Generation by Submarine Landslides, Arabian Journal of Geosciences
p2u3nit likes this.
specializedSPH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 23, 2018, 07:48
Default
  #7
New Member
 
anonymous001
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 6
bladomas is on a distinguished road
I would love to have a look at your code. I'm currently busy learning C++ and several different programs for compiling codes. Soon I will have a good look at the codes and compare them.
bladomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 23, 2018, 09:31
Default
  #8
New Member
 
Dr. sadra
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 6
specializedSPH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladomas View Post
I would love to have a look at your code. I'm currently busy learning C++ and several different programs for compiling codes. Soon I will have a good look at the codes and compare them.
mail to futureidea@chmail.ir to send code.
specializedSPH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 23, 2018, 18:48
Default Multiple Kernels and Flexible EOS
  #9
Member
 
Peter Brady
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 10
pbrady2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer View Post
I think I tried the GPU-Version of GPUSPH at some point. My concern was that it had only constant material properties for water and WCSPH as a solver.

I am not 100% sure though.

Hi @beer,


From my recollection you were right from a while ago.


I use GPUSPH now and am getting good results. There are different kernels now and flexible equations of state.


I'm focussed on free surface problems and have not tried enclosed flows with moving walls as the OP has later added. Would be worth a look.



Cheers,
-pete
pbrady2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 24, 2019, 15:10
Default
  #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 6
meandcfd is on a distinguished road
This is not free code. specializedSPH is selling it. His/her comment via email when asked about it being free: "And you figured it would be free of charge? Extraordinary Impression!!!!!!!!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by specializedSPH View Post
I can send you my developed ISPH code that I wrote about 8 papers with it:
1. Incompressible SPH simulation of landslide impulse-generated water waves. Natural Hazards, 82(3), 1779-1802.
2. Modified variable mass incompressible SPH method for simulating internal fluid flows. Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, 38(7), 2009-2027.
3. Eulerian ISPH Method for Simulating Internal Flows. Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics, 9(3).
4. On the numerical simulation of the nonbreaking solitary waves run up on sloping beaches. Computers & Mathematics with Applications, 70(9), 2270-2281.
5. Comparative study on the accuracy of solitary wave generations in an ISPH-based numerical wave flume. Applied Ocean Research, 54, 115-136.
6. Simulating Solitary Wave Generation Using Incompressible SPH. Ann Limnol Oceanogr 1(1): 013-021.
7. On the Generation, Propagation and Runup of Solitary Water Waves on Steep Beaches, in 6th International Offshore Industries Conference (Tehran, Sharif University of Technology: 2015).
8. ISPH Numerical Simulation of Tsunami Generation by Submarine Landslides, Arabian Journal of Geosciences
meandcfd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 26, 2019, 07:55
Default
  #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 92
Rep Power: 11
beer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrady2013 View Post
Hi @beer,


From my recollection you were right from a while ago.


I use GPUSPH now and am getting good results. There are different kernels now and flexible equations of state.


I'm focussed on free surface problems and have not tried enclosed flows with moving walls as the OP has later added. Would be worth a look.



Cheers,
-pete



Hi Pete


So they added a few features, nice. Especiall the moving and floating objects seem to perform well.

However they still only have WCSPH implemented. You should have a look at PCISPH and IISPH. Those are iterative methods for incompressible SPH but do not need the solution of a PPE. The possible speed up is crazy and the incompressbility is acutally enforced. Those are implemented in SPHlisHSPlasH.

I haven't had a look into these codes lately because I decided to write my own OpenCL code (don't do that...) and now Cuda code (much better).



Regards
beer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 26, 2019, 09:44
Default
  #12
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 6
meandcfd is on a distinguished road
If the problem is dealing with incompressible then look at MPS (moving particle semi-implicit) which has been around for years and addresses incompressible.
meandcfd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 26, 2019, 19:00
Default Thanks for the Tip
  #13
Member
 
Peter Brady
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 10
pbrady2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer View Post
Hi Pete


So they added a few features, nice. Especiall the moving and floating objects seem to perform well.

However they still only have WCSPH implemented. You should have a look at PCISPH and IISPH. Those are iterative methods for incompressible SPH but do not need the solution of a PPE. The possible speed up is crazy and the incompressbility is acutally enforced. Those are implemented in SPHlisHSPlasH.

I haven't had a look into these codes lately because I decided to write my own OpenCL code (don't do that...) and now Cuda code (much better).



Regards

Hey @beer,


Thanks for the clarification and update. I should have a look at your code. Its that the following link on github?


https://github.com/InteractiveComput...s/SPlisHSPlasH



GPUSPH released an updated solver yesterday but still WCSPH.


Cheers,
-pete
pbrady2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 27, 2019, 03:39
Default
  #14
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 92
Rep Power: 11
beer is on a distinguished road
Oh, it is not my code. I have a differnt one with different features. I just think it is really cool.
beer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 18, 2019, 02:39
Default
  #15
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
hancock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladomas View Post
I will be modelling tube flow with the use of SPH (smoothed-particle hydrodynamics). My question was, which open source SPH code would be the best to use? Or which ones have clear advantages (some disadvantages as well) over others? I have found a website which lists several of them but I'm not sure if I can post a link here (for now).
For mesh free methods PySPH is an opensource tool which provides a wide range of schemes for simulating the various type of physics. and the good part about it is that a python code is used to change or create a new scheme or simulation. The link for the software is

https://github.com/pypr/pysph
hancock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 7, 2021, 06:02
Default
  #16
New Member
 
Alexander Kazantcev
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 5
AlexKaz is on a distinguished road
Free DualSPHysics, I think. It works on cuda cards and CPUs. In my tests Ryzen 1800x (~160-180 GFlops in double) was about 3 times slower than NVIDIA Tesla C2050 (~500 GFlops in double).

https://dual.sphysics.org/downloads/
AlexKaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
sph method

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[swak4Foam] difficulties installing swak4foam newbie29 OpenFOAM Community Contributions 117 June 16, 2021 03:11
[waves2Foam] Tripping over several build issues with OpenFOAM 2.1.1 Yage OpenFOAM Community Contributions 18 February 15, 2016 02:02
Custom Thermophysical Properties wsmith02 OpenFOAM 3 July 27, 2015 05:37
[swak4Foam] swak4foam building problem GGerber OpenFOAM Community Contributions 54 April 24, 2015 16:02
OpenFOAM on MinGW crosscompiler hosted on Linux allenzhao OpenFOAM Installation 127 January 30, 2009 19:08


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 18:46.