CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Software User Forums > NUMECA

Fine/Turbo cannot open grid built by IGG, Configuration file problem?

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old   March 11, 2016, 03:42
Default Fine/Turbo cannot open grid built by IGG, Configuration file problem?
  #1
New Member
 
Jessica Wei
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
wkjshon is on a distinguished road
Dear all,

A tricky problem...
I'm using Fine/Turbo 10.1 now. There's a problem that makes me really confusing.
When I used the file that was built by Autogrid as the grid file for the Fine/Turbo case, everything was fine.
However, when I used the file that was built by IGG as the grid file for the Fine/Turbo case, the grid couldn't be recognized and there was a warning said "The grid configuration file does not contain all the blocks defined in the mesh file."
I've checked the configuration file, and found nothing wrong.
I tried to build a new igg file that only contains one single block. But the the same error occured.
I also tried an older version Fine 9.13. Still the same error.
I have to use IGG to generate the Volute Mesh of the Compressor. But the Fine/Turbo cannot open the grid!
Did someone have the similar problem? Please help me......
Desperate.....

Thanks in advance,
Jessica
wkjshon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 11, 2016, 08:22
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
DarylMusashi's Avatar
 
Holger Dietrich
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 174
Rep Power: 10
DarylMusashi is on a distinguished road
Maybe you need to regenerate the grid configuration file of your IGG-mesh. In IGG in the left part of the GUI please select "Grid Configuration". Now select anything below "Main Project" and delete it (right click, delete). Finally you click "update" below that window to create a new Grid Configuration, which should fit now.

Save it and please try again to read the mesh in FINE/Turbo.
DarylMusashi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 14, 2016, 03:07
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Jessica Wei
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
wkjshon is on a distinguished road
Dear Dary,

Thank you for your advice. I've tried this way, but there's still the same problem. I also tried to build a new IGG-mesh with only one butterfly block, and checked the "Grid Configuration" of the GUI to make sure there's nothing lest. But the Fine/Turbo couldn't read the mesh either.

The configuration file is as follows,

NI_BEGIN NIProjectConfiguration mainProject
NI_BEGIN NIProjectConfigurationDomain
NAME Main Project
ROTATING -1
PHYSICAL_STATE 0
CONTAINER 0
NI_BEGIN NIProjectConfigurationDomain
NAME IGG Core Flow 1
ROTATING -1
PHYSICAL_STATE 0
CONTAINER 0
BLOCK_NAME Block_1_but0
BLOCK_NAME Block_1_but1
BLOCK_NAME Block_1_but2
BLOCK_NAME Block_1_but3
BLOCK_NAME Block_1_but4
BLOCK_NAME Block_1_but5
BLOCK_NAME Block_1_but6
NI_END NIProjectConfigurationDomain
NI_END NIProjectConfigurationDomain
NI_END NIProjectConfiguration mainProject


If you have any idea about this problem, please share with me. Thank you very much.

Best wishes,
Jessica


Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylMusashi View Post
Maybe you need to regenerate the grid configuration file of your IGG-mesh. In IGG in the left part of the GUI please select "Grid Configuration". Now select anything below "Main Project" and delete it (right click, delete). Finally you click "update" below that window to create a new Grid Configuration, which should fit now.

Save it and please try again to read the mesh in FINE/Turbo.
wkjshon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 14, 2016, 03:38
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Hamid Zoka
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 262
Rep Power: 14
Hamidzoka is on a distinguished road
Hi;
Is that a 2D mesh or 3D one?
When you generate your mesh in IGG you should divide the domain to some zones, then mesh each zone individually and do all the settings, mesh merging, boundary conditions definition, etc., manually.
Can you give a scheme of your generated mesh in IGG?
Hamidzoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 14, 2016, 04:59
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Jessica Wei
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
wkjshon is on a distinguished road
Hi,

It's a 3D mesh of a centrifugal compressor volute.
In order to find out the reason of this problem, I built an extremly simple model with only on butterfly block. The model is as follows.
butterfly block.PNG

The volute mesh is as follows.
volute.PNG

This is really weird. To be honest, I don't think the problem comes from the mesh because the one-block mesh also couldn't be loaded by Fine/Turbo. If possible, could you load my mesh file in your Fine/Turbo softwear? Thank you for your reply.

Best regards,
Jessica


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamidzoka View Post
Hi;
Is that a 2D mesh or 3D one?
When you generate your mesh in IGG you should divide the domain to some zones, then mesh each zone individually and do all the settings, mesh merging, boundary conditions definition, etc., manually.
Can you give a scheme of your generated mesh in IGG?
wkjshon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 15, 2016, 03:40
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
DarylMusashi's Avatar
 
Holger Dietrich
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 174
Rep Power: 10
DarylMusashi is on a distinguished road
Hello,
I was able to reproduce your problem with the single block. To make FINE/Turbo able to read this single block (with or without butterfly) you must make sure all the patches of the block(s) are well defined in IGG.

I suppose this is the problem in your volute mesh, too. Please select in the upper bar "Grid", "Boundary Conditions".

There must not be any undefined patches. You can filter all your patches by type, just select type: "UND" in the patch window to show all undefined patches.

You should click "Search", then IGG detecs all connections between blocks automatically. Other types of patches you need to define manually. Please select the desired patch and then select the patch type on top of the patch window.

Last edited by DarylMusashi; March 15, 2016 at 09:02.
DarylMusashi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 29, 2016, 03:09
Default
  #7
New Member
 
Jessica Wei
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
wkjshon is on a distinguished road
Hello,

Thank you for your advice. I've solved this problem. It's indeed a boundary condition mistake. After I checked and redefined all the boundary conditions, the IGG mesh was able to be regonized by Fine/Turbo.

Thank you again for your kind help.

Best regards,

Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylMusashi View Post
Hello,
I was able to reproduce your problem with the single block. To make FINE/Turbo able to read this single block (with or without butterfly) you must make sure all the patches of the block(s) are well defined in IGG.

I suppose this is the problem in your volute mesh, too. Please select in the upper bar "Grid", "Boundary Conditions".

There must not be any undefined patches. You can filter all your patches by type, just select type: "UND" in the patch window to show all undefined patches.

You should click "Search", then IGG detecs all connections between blocks automatically. Other types of patches you need to define manually. Please select the desired patch and then select the patch type on top of the patch window.
wkjshon is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
fine/turbo, igg

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to calculate mass flow rate on patches and summation of that during the run? immortality OpenFOAM Post-Processing 101 February 3, 2017 00:36
Custom Thermophysical Properties wsmith02 OpenFOAM 3 July 27, 2015 06:37
[Other] Adding solvers from DensityBasedTurbo to foam-extend 3.0 Seroga OpenFOAM Community Contributions 9 June 12, 2015 18:18
[swak4Foam] Error bulding swak4Foam sfigato OpenFOAM Community Contributions 18 August 22, 2013 13:41
ParaView Compilation jakaranda OpenFOAM Installation 3 October 27, 2008 12:46


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50.